Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Missing da bikers

It's the best week of the year to walk the Waukee bike/walking trail. Most of the serious bikers are on RAGBRAI. It would be safe to venture on the trail to walk. But I forgot my workout stuff. Damn it!

First thing this a.m. I went to see Sheryl Young for my pre-surgery physical. Had a mini EKG, blood work, peed in a cup and answered Qs. Then I got to visit with Sheryl who is an ARNP. She asked about the procedure and wondered if I was keeping my ovaries or not. Hmmm, she gave some reasons why it might be a good idea to ditch the little buggers. In the end we decided I should discuss it with the doc.

Then I spent a couple hours at the Environmental Protection Commission meeting. This is a board who makes rules for natural resources stuff. For the first hour we listened to the commission discuss hog confinements. Then it was time for public comment - each person who signed up was allotted 3 minutes to vent. The first ten people were against a proposed hog confinement in Van Buren County. I felt empathy for them. I wouldn't like my property surrounded by pooping hogs.

After that, a couple solid waste peeps (Hal and Cindy) spoke out against a proposed change in my rule. The one that spells out much of what I do. Chad, who has been with our department longer than I got the privilege of then getting up to speak about the changes. The commissioners grilled him about the part Hal and Cindy spoke on. If it goes through, our department will take in more $$ in solid waste tonnage fees - collecting for construction and demolition debris that is presently exempt. In the end, the commission voted as Chad asked them to. Next the proposed change goes before a rules committee. Stay tuned.

After a brief period in my cubicle, I then went to see Dr. Dornbier about my upcoming surgery. He explained the possibilities of the surgery. What could go wrong. Infection has the highest probability. Yuck! He listed off pros and cons on the ovary thing. Clear as mud. I need to call in the marines to help with this decision. My sis Betso the nurse and her loyal hubby Wayne the wonder Doc. Plus I need to discuss it with my beloved pool boy. Stay tuned.

No comments: