Friday, June 26, 2009

TGIF

I know - I didn't even work a whole lot on Monday. But this week felt longish! I was happy to get home yesterday evening - in time to eat a nice grilled steak with veggies, and head to Book Club. It was a delightful time as usual.

We got to swim in Thea's pool - which is complete with a new liner. As I recall for the past 5 years or so, Thea has been saying "this liner is on borrowed time!" Evidently it came due this summer. After a series of false starts, and gallons 'o water, the above ground pool, surrounded by a deck, is looking good! There is a nice new table and fancy (difficult to figure out) dangling umbrella as well.

Wine has been popular at the last couple meetings and Ramona brought a fancy ice cream bucket ice bucket to chill the vino while we swam. Francie had showered and didn't wear her suit, so we named her the official book "Water for Elephants" question reader, as the rest of us bobbed in the refreshing water of the pool.

We all liked the book. It was a little depressing to start - the old guy narrator was in a nursing home. It made me call my years (6 months) delivering oxygen to comatose people in nursing homes. When I remembered to push the big red button to get in the door (without releasing old folks), I was often faced with comatose patients who I was leery of touching. Ick!

But I enjoyed the book, which I'm sure contained a number of truths about circuses back in the 1930's. While I would proclaim not to like going to the circus, I must admit my Girl Scout trip to the Shrine Circus at Vets was quite exciting. We had to hold onto a rope to make sure we didn't get lost walking in. Then, when our children were little, Dad bought them tickets to the Carson and Barnes circus in Atlantic - big top at the airport. The acrobats were fabulous, and I was amazed at the athletic ability of the clowns and tumblers.

Anyways, last night was fine - book club and a night with my honey - though I wrenched myself out of bed early this a.m. for a 4-mile walk with my buds. A teeth cleaning, lunch with Pablo and a session with Amber, returning my hair to a low and high-lighted condition completed the day. Ahhhh. Then Amy texted me with the news that she scored a part time job marketing for a wine/gourmet shop. Score! Life is good.

1 comment:

Thea said...

Actually, it is Larry, the pool guy, who predicted the demise of the old liner ever since I moved here. Probably wishful thinking on his part since his bill wil keep him in beer for a very long time.

Hasn't Ramona got our number already? :) I'm going to have a nightcap with the rest of the wine. My favorite.

I hope the other new one comes... I've given up on Donna.