Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Fave author




I'd have to say Carol O'Connell is one of my favorite authors. I've read all of the books by the author that I can get my hands on. One online review of her books says this, "authentic, surreal voice of New York, less gritty than Andrew Vachss but no less powerful, hard-eyed, and fierce, and her central character, New York police detective Kathy Mallory."




I like Andrew Vachss books too, but nobody can spin suspense and multifaceted characters like O'Connell. Characters are flawed, and the main ones havee a little mean sadistic streak. Hmmm just like real people! In the Kathy Mallory series, Mallory is always one step ahead of me. She's quirky and a bit crazy. At times she's a sociopath, but then shows a heart.




The online review (located here: http://www.dancingbadger.com/carol_oconnell.htm) goes on to say, "The Mallory novels are classic mysteries. In each, there is a central crime, a main event that not only sets things in motion but remains the primary driving force throughout the narrative. In each, the 'real killer' is obvious after the fact but false leads and misdirection make the revelation a surprise. Typically, the real killer is less interesting than other characters either morally ambiguous or simply but less obviously evil."


I just listened to O'Connell's latest offering while commuting. It was called "Bone By Bone" and was the best book I've read/heard for quite some time. This wasn't a Mallory book. There were 8 or so characters and each of them were very well developed. There weren't any sex scenes (dammit), but there was a scene the described two of the main characters doing the Tango. It was hot!
If you like suspense, check out a Carol O'Connell book soon.






No comments: