Thursday, June 25, 2009

2 icons gone

Jacko and Farrah are gone. I'm sorry their lives turned out so badly. Back in their heydays (is that a word?) they were on top of the world. Who could have known their lives would turn out so tragically, each in their own F*&(ed up way.

Michael and the Jackson 5 first hit the scene when I was a youngster - not yet a teen. When I got a little record player for my 13th birthday, I kept it under my bed, pulling it out to listen to my Jackson 5 album on Motown Records each night. I loved "Stop the Love You Save". Michael was such a rockin' little dude!

Through the years, we all know the story as told by the press. As with many people who get idolized from childhood, he became mentally unstable. (good thing I've been hard on our kids - no idols they...) But he did put out some great music in the meantime. Billy Jean, Gonna Rock Tonight, Thriller - all great songs. He was a pop icon. Just today, before I heard about his illness and death I listened to Will You Be There, thinking to myself about how it had been a while since we'd seen anything of the reclusive star. A little premonition perhaps. (watch for me solving crimes and predicting the future on a TV show near you soon)

Farrah - I think half the guys dorm rooms in 1977 had the famous poster up. Everyone tried to do the Farrah hair. (Except me, the girl without the girl/hair gene) They said on TV that she was only on Charlie's Angels one season. Wha? I was surprised! It sure seemed like longer! Sally, Jane, Vic and I used to watch Charlie's Angel (or Chuck's Chicks) in the "den" of our dorm floor, critiquing hairstyles and acting. As if we were goddesses ourselves. Somehow, ragging on Farrah boosted my ego. Right before Chuck's Chicks we watched My 6 Legs (My 3 Sons). My weren't we clever???

At first I liked it when Farrah got together with Ryan O'Neal. He was so handsome in the movie "Paper Moon" - quite the scoundrel. And Tatum was so cute. They both ended up F'ed up too. Hmm perhaps it's a good thing my childhood dreams of fame and fortune didn't come true!

Here's to you Michael and Farrah - you did entertain! And what fodder you've provided for the media for years to come. Anything to forget the recession...

1 comment:

Thea said...

A former commissioner (director, top dog, etc.) of DHS had Farrah in her red suit on the back of his door. Unbelievable, but true.