Monday, June 22, 2009

Dads in my life



Our trip to Colorado was excellent. More about that later - but now I'd like to pay tribute to the Dads in my life. First, my dad David Judson Bullock (above, in purple with Cindo, Paul and me). Dad is gone (he passed away in late 2006) but definitely not forgotten.


I can't claim that Dad was the best dad ever. He traveled each week for his job in ladies' underwear, with O'Bryan Brothers who made Lorraine Lingerie. When he did come home on Friday nights, he was ready for fun. He didn't spend hours throwing the softball with me, though he did try to (unsuccessfully) teach me to play golf. Note to parent - don't try to coach your own child in golf, at least not after they turn 13 or so.


He did teach me to drive and back then we had a 4 speed Chevy Vega with a clutch friction point that was 1 millimeter in length. Easy to kill. Why he had me go up the YMCA hill I'll never know. Dad snapped my bra back when I wasn't too keen on wearing one - humiliating me. He was also a bit of a sadist, doing snake bites on my arm and that finger thing that hurts a lot when you try to get away.


He also liked to laugh - and is the reason I never call anyone by their real name. As I've said before I was Looseleaf to him. He had little sayings that will forever be with me - no not things like "A stitch in time" advicey things. More like we're going to a "sherky toot from Kenver, Dolorado". And when Betsy would ask "what are we having for supper Daddy? he'd say things like Snake for steak and Dead Chicken. He was a great griller!


Here's to you BFD (Big Fat Daddio) - I miss ya!



The other Dad in my life is the father of my kids - my beloved Pablo the Poolboy. The picture above is from our recent Denver trip - delivering Amy's stuff to her. Though his own father was much like mine - dads were a lot more "hands off" with kids when we were growing up. Except when it came to discipline!
Even so he jumped right into parenting right from the start - changing diapers, feeding the kids, bathtime. All the tasks that come with kids. During the school years he helped them with special projects - like making a vehicle powered with a mouse trap. Or building a city from wood.
Sometimes he acts kind of hard on them. But they know that under that sometimes crusty exterior he's a cream puff. Paul spent countless hours coaching both kids in a variety of sports. He tossed the base/softball, threw footballs, kicked the soccer ball. He organized traveling teams.
And these days he's still on their team. Showing them how to mow the lawn and put up a picture on the wall. Making sure they've covered their bases (sports analogy even in this stage of their lives). When they're out of line, he calls them on it.
As Amy and Jud grow up, they are beginning to realize just what a wonderful father they have. Sometimes they even tell him! Here's to you Dad and Paul - you rock!

No comments: