Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Recession cheer?



Do you think the recession is making people friendlier? Or at least making them act nicer to customers? I pondered this during our recent trip, when everywhere I went, workers were greeting me cheerily. And they didn't even seem like they were faking it.

Are people truly more thankful for their jobs than they were only a year or so ago? Most of us know people who have been affected by the economic situation. In Colorado, my sis Cindo had to take a pay cut, putting her back to a salary rate similar to what it was a couple years ago despite more responsibility today. Her husband Bolder had to take a big commission hit on his bar supply job. I know others who have had furlough days. Though Iowa has not been hit as hard as other places, we are feeling some pain.

Iowa DNR, my employer, just came out with an unpaid leave policy, encouraging staff to take non-paid time off (if their supervisor supports it). Our department is not supported by general tax funds so I don't think our bosses are too keen on the idea of trash folk taking time off. I wonder who is suppposed to take on job duties, as there are unfilled positions plus people taking unpaid leave? Eventually this rubber band will be stretched a little thin!

Amy is struggling in her job hunt in her new city Denver. One position she applied for had some 500 applicants. Argh - how do you compete with that many people when you have few local connections? I tell her just keep plugging away. Anyone out there - suggestions appreciated! While she graduated in graphic design, I believe she's open to all types of jobs.

Jobs are important. It's important that we like our jobs! I've described some of my jobs in previous blogs. No I didn't like all of them all the time. I had to "settle" for employment where I could get it through most of my working career - at least until 1998 when I became a fledgling trash lady. But there were good things about most of my jobs -mostly the people I worked with. They all became friends!

I hope you find your job rewarding!

2 comments:

ICT said...

Plan ahead before your job interview to establish confidence. Try to picture out the impression you want to make and how you want to be remembered.


Transform Your Career And Live Your True Work Passion

Thea said...

500 applicants!! yegods. Compare that to the AEA, where we get a handful on a good year.