Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Knuckle Sandwich


Tonight was Hessen Haus night. It's a German joint on 4th Street - just around the corner from Dos Rios, not far from the Science Center. Due to today's balmy weather the door was propped open, welcoming us in. Paul ordered a Stella Artois in a mug. I had a sip - quite nice. I stuck with water though - avoiding the dreaded headache.

The place filled up as soon as we got there. Perhaps the warm weather got to people - it seemed busy for a Tuesday. The atmosphere of the place is great! How could it not be? It's the Polka Hall of Fame site!
Polka Hall of Fame wall


There are steins on the wall, and Jagermeister shots are $3 when trains go by and rumble the walls. Our waitress seemed to have forgotten about us in the rush of folks filling in the tables - when Paul got her attention, he ordered fried chicken, and I, the pizza. That's right - not one German meal between us.

So it was really my own fault that the food didn't rank up with the best places. The kitchen took so long to make the pizza, the waitress ended up comping us on it - so that was nice. We weren't in a hurry anyway. Alas the pizza didn't have a great deal of flavor. Paul said the chicken was okay, not as good as the High Life Lounge. My fave thing was the red cabbage that came with his meal! I ate it all.

We give Hessen Haus 3.5 Moki heads.

I'm sure the knuckle sandwich was great. (Dad used to always threaten to give ME a knuckle sannie when I was bad - so I had to take this photo...).
Knuckle Sandwich
We did enjoy the ambiance. We'll come back to drink beer and perhaps have a brat - German food!

Our walk home on the footbridge across the Des Moines river was gorgeous. The weather, my man - it was all good tonight!

No comments: