Sunday, March 4, 2012

Gino N Vidette



Friday night Pablo and I headed out to the burbs - to funky town. We had a date to meet my bookclub friend Vidette and her hubby Josh at Gino's West, in West Glen, just off I-35 and Mills Civic Parkway. We arrived a bit early, so we sat at the bar and I perused the martini menu. Hard to go wrong with the Lemondrop, right? Paul had a Sam Adams beer.

I must admit I was a little nervous about how conversation might go between the four of us. Of course Vidette and I know each other. I've expressed several times in this blog how much I adore book club. V is a relative newcomer - to club and to Creston and Iowa. Josh took a position here a few years ago teaching English at Southwestern Community College. Vidette's been in book club a couple years or so now, and she serves on the Friends of the Library Board.

Vidette grew up in South Carolina, and is an African American woman living in a town that is 98% white. That has to be interesting, tough, funny and many other things. Oh the stories she can tell. I know she and Josh like to go to Omaha and Des Moines to see live music and eat out. But I asked myself - what will Paul have in common with them? What will we talk about?

My nervousness was all for naught - the evening went swimmingly! We all got along great. The Goldsmiths talked about topics other than ISU sports (although it did come up and I'm happy to report the Dixon-Borgmanns are Clone fans), hunting, dirt and trash. There were no awkward lapses in conversation. Even Paul enjoyed himself.

Gino's food was good. Josh got mussels - but Paul and I passed on trying them. It was Friday, so no meat for us Catholics. I got the lasagna, faithfully picking the meatballs out to eat at a later date. It wasn't the best lasagna ever, but decent. Paul thought the scampi was swell. Our waitress was nice and fairly attentive.

At Gino's, there were reproduced photos on the wall featuring an old restaurant called "Johnny & Kay's". Was that a restaurant down on Fleur? That was giving me memory flashbacks - of being at restaurant with Mom and Dad in the olden days. Cool photos regardless.

We had a good time Friday night. I'm so glad Vidette suggested it! Just wish I would have taken a photo of the two of them....next time!

No comments: