Saturday, March 31, 2012

Partying with the (J)ocular crowd

Our friends the McKims are in town (DSM) for a professional eye association meeting. Dr. Don is on the board, so he's been at the Embassy Suites since Wednesday. Diana rolled in late yesterday afternoon. They had a reception yesterday evening - with all the eye folks, so Paul and I headed to our go-to place, The Standard. The supper special was a swell talapia sannie, and I had tomato soup with it. Their food is very, very good! (4+ Moki heads every meal so far) A band was setting up to play and the place was crowded.
Our buddy, Jeff the bartender has learned our names and fixed us up with drinks
The singer was good!
Donnie texted us to come on over to "socialize" at the Embassy.  They were on second floor where several vendors of eye products and services had set up hospitality suites. I knew we were in the right place when I saw someone with a cloth bag that read "ocular health is cool" or something to that effect.We actually knew a couple people (besides D&D) there - from tailgating at McKim's RV through the years. One vendor had a musician hired who was fun to listen to. We even sang along. In walked Phil Conover from Creston - our former neighbor's son who now works at DSM Golf and Country Club. Yes it was old home week.

Diana and I check out the photo of me riding Marilyn the bike on my cell phone
Don gives Phil advice...

Around 10 PM, Don, Dee, Paul and I decided to head up Locust Street to the Continental for a drink. On our way out the door, we ran into Joel Weis (son of Joan and Dr. Greg - a vet-Weis) from Creston. He's a 3rd year eye doc student at a school in Memphis, TN. He's in town for the convention as well! Jud played soccer with Joel and all sports with his bro, Ben. The Iowa association sponsors students like Joel, in hopes that they end up working back in Iowa with members - what a good deal.

At the Continental, just a short walk from the Embassy Suites, there was had a female singer, who wasn't the greatest really. Then it was on up the street a couple doors to experience Locust Tap - a dive, and a much younger crowd. After a little liquid courage there - it was onto the gay bar, Blazing Saddle.

Why, you ask? I've been walking past the place for 3+ years and frankly, I'm the curious sort. I wanted to know what was in there. Just like I needed to go into the other area bars - House of Bricks & Locust Tap. But a little riskier! It's really pretty much a normal bar - narrow, a few tables with a bar along the left. There were a couple women sitting with guys, but also clusters of guys. Our men ordered beer, and Dee and I switched to water. The guys stayed very near us, lest they be mistaken for...one of them.
Only took one fuzzy photo here - didn't want to look too obvious as a gawker

We sat at a table near a doorway into...what? It was mysteriously dark in the next room with music pulsing. I finally chanced a look - it WAS very dark, couples were dancing at the far end of the room. There was another bar along the left side with additional seating. Back at our table, we saw a nice looking cross-dresser go by. That was the extent of the visit. We slipped out the back door into the parking lot. It was after 1 a.m. by that time, and it was time for the oldsters to head home. Those eye folks do know how to party!

I don't suppose I'll talk Paul into going across the street to the after-hours dance club - the next frontier. Someone did get stabbed there recently, so I guess I'm not all that curious about that place...

No comments: