Friday, March 23, 2012

A well-rounded day

Today was a well-rounded day - for me and the weather. I started out by working from 6:30 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. I got quite a bit done. It was a busy week at work - and I feel like I'm treading water - doing a lot, but not getting ahead! New things keep popping up on my plate. I was ready to take off when the clock hit the 11:30 though - had my 40+ hours in.

The weather started out foggy and overcast, but was clearing by the time I got back to the loft. I took Odie out for her restroom break and to stretch her short puppy dog legs. Who came walking up right on time? Pablo the Poolboy, home from the office!

We had made a date to head east to Williamsburg to the Outlet Mall to shop. I was Jonesin' for the Eddie Bauer store there. The regular store just doesn't cut it - prices are too high. Had some luck there, Vanity Fair (my undies store, post Dave Bullock) and Jockey - where I get bras and jammies. Paul got some shorts at EB. Ran into the Brad Baker fam from Creston at the Outlet Mall. Small world indeed.
They add the wheels later...

Then it was back to the Big City - by around 5 p.m. Paul worked out in the exercise room and I went for a walk. This time I headed east on Court, south on 4th. I discovered where the City of DSM trash and recycling toters are born and a salvage biz.


No radioactive stuff - kinda scary that they'd even need to make a sign like that!

Then I headed east on Martin Luther King Drive. It had turned into a gorgeous evening! The light was fab and this was an angle I hadn't seen of the city before. I crossed the river and headed north to take the footbridge, passing some interesting buildings along Raccoon Street along the river.
A different angle of the big city
River was smooth as glass
This says Brown Camp Hardware
The painting on this property intrigues me
I wonder what Strong Island means?

This guy waves at me each time I walk by

Shrimp made my lips burn!
Paul and I headed back to the Standard - the martini bar, for a drink and a shrimp tapas plate - Cajun style. They had NCAA hoops on the flat screen. It's nice to be able to walk everywhere. It was a perfect spring night. And I didn't get thrown in the slammer - just walked on by on our way back to the loft.  

1 comment:

Jane Buck said...

You did it again Les! Great blog. You trod places that even I have not walked - and I grew up in Altoona! Great blog, great pictures, great day for you and Paul and great weather to boot!

Jane