Saturday, March 17, 2012

By request - my homegirls

We made it home to Crestonia last night in time to see the homegirls at The Lobby. We breezed into our house where son Jud was watching NCAA games. He'd taken the afternoon off from his job as a buyer in St. Joe, Missouri at Altec, a company that makes specialized service vehicles. Girlfriend Kara is in Vegas on a chick trip.

Paul and Jud decided go along for a beer. After all, The Lobby has TVs - NCAA games could be watched there. We were celebrating Patti's birthday. 55! Holy shit, how did that happen? Seems like we were just 40, 45, 50. Insert age here. It sure helps having your girlfriends on this path of life!

Nancy asked about my elbow - mentioning that she reads this blog. Just fine thanks, now that Imelda, the shoe-lovin' tumor has been removed. She also told me that it's high-time that the girls get some blog lovin'. Her wish is my command.

Our cast of characters: (left to right)
Patti - the birthday girl. Lost her husband to a brain tumor when she was in her early 30's and had 2 young sons. I can't imagine how tough that must have been. For the past twenty years or so, she's made her life with Dean Leith, whom she calls her fiance. We joke that they should get married as we want to be bridesmaids! I first knew her aunt - Lamona Bilderback before I met Patti. I worked with Lamona, a wonderful woman, at First National Bank. Then I met her sis Jeanne, who I worked with at Gits Manufacturing. Another swell person who would give you the shirt off her back. I didn't have the privilege of meeting Patti until the late 90's when I began to workout with Deb and her at the Y. It must be a family trait as Patti is another nice and caring person.

Susan Grose Weinheimer - was one of the first people I met in town. Susan was new pledge of Xi Beta Psi - the sorority I was asked to join when we moved to Creston in 1986. We never really hung out though, until recent years. I've enjoyed getting to know her better. We sure had fun at her wedding reception last spring as she married handsome Brian Weinheimer. Susan's daughters are a year younger than Amy and Jud. We're looking forward to daughter Lindsay's wedding this summer. Small world department - Susan lived at 230 Campus Avenue in Ames when we did, but we didn't know her. She's a social worker - so you know she's got the patience of Jobe.

Pat Moeller - didn't really get to know Pat until Jud and her son Steven were in class at St. Malachy together. But we ended up seeing a great deal of each other through those years - as the boys participated in every sport together and Paul coached many of them. Plus my fave story. One time I traveled out of town for my work at Gits. Jud (was about 8 years old) had Steven stay over night. During the night (Jud was a very sound sleeper) Steven had a bad dream and woke up scared. So he ended up sleeping with Paul part of the night. I could imagine that line of questioning at Moeller's house the next day. Pat, "How was your night, Steven?" "Fun, but I slept with Jud's dad." "What???" Pat is a serious person, but with a lighter side when you get to know her. She's a hard worker who has volunteered for many things around town. It's nice to see her beam when she is asked about her granddaughter.

Next up - Deb Peterson - my bestie. Everyone needs one! I originally met her because of our children. We felt a bond right away. She and Larry moved away once, and to my great fortune, they moved back. That's when we really started hanging out and got to know each other very well. We're both from families of four girls and are simpatico on nearly every issue. (Except the whole Cyclone/Panther/Hawkeye thing) Love our kayak trips together, she's who I want in my corner when something goes bad. Gotta have my Debbie fix, or I get the jitters. I look up to her - she leads the way (but age isn't everything...haha). Naw, I can't ever keep up to her, but she drives me to try.

Diana McKim is another of my sorority friends and we've always had our Cyclone love in common. Just like Petersons (and McFees - though Bobbie is missing in this picture, due to the fab weather and her taking advantage of deck time), McKims have children the same school grades as Amy and Jud. That meant carpooling, birthdays together etc. McKims (she and Donnie are a package deal) have always been so wonderful to be there for us when times are tough. We've grown especially close to them the past several years thanks to our tailgating (and pre-tailgating) escapades. We share joys and sorrows. Just not politics...don't get us going on that as we're oil and water on that topic. We've talked about retiring together, and I could see it. Donnie is going to drive us around, Diana will enable us with drinks, Paul will grill. I guess I need to come up with a talent...

Nancy Anthony - the new kid. Okay she's lived in Creston probably 15 years or so. So she's a relative newcomer compared to the others. But it seemed like she fit in instantly. Cuz she's one of those people with such a warm personality that you feel like you've known her. People like to be around Nancy because she exudes good attitude and vibes. Presently she's studying for her BSN degree, which I think is cool - we old chicks need to keep learning.

She and spouse Jim have been presented with family situations that others might not have handled with such grace. Oldest daughter Kelly married an African American man. I'm sure that raised some eyebrows in Creston - but Jason is such a wonderful guy, I think he's done wonders for race relations in town. People who had never really met a black person before have had a chance to get to know him. Now they realize that they're people, just like we are.

Youngest daughter Kendra is gay. I'm sure wasn't an easy situation to come to terms with for anyone in the family - mostly Kendra. Just like for any young person who discovers they don't quite fit the mold, it had to be tough. Hell, it's hard enough getting through puberty as a straight kid. And sometimes I think it's even harder on parents guiding children through the landmines of childhood than it is on the child! I myself stressed when Jud wet the bed longer than most kids - worried about what the other kids might think if he had an accident at a sleepover. We just want them to "fit it". So learning your child wasn't going to have the white picket fence with a husband and 2 kids had to lead to a few sleepness nights.

Son Kyle is a free spirit who still likes to play baseball and in a band in his free time. He just married his longtime girlfriend. All three kids live in Kansas City, so Jim and Nan spend lots of time there. Four grandkids (Kelly and Jason's kids) might have something to do with it.

I'm sure the Anthony fam has its dysfunctional moments as we all do. But you can tell - Nancy is proud of her diverse fam and acceptance is the word around their home. I like it.

So there you have it. The homegirls, at least the ones who showed up at Patti's bday celebration. You asked for it - hope it's not TMI (too much information). Just know I love you all, and appreciate having you as my friends!

Gotta go - time for some hoops. March Madness ya know.


1 comment:

Jane Buck said...

Another sensational blog Les. Each time I read a new one I marvel at they just get better and better. You surely are blessed with the talent of writing. Oftentimes, TMI gives the reader a much greater insight into what life and a family is all about - and I fully agree - nothing is perfect, but this gang of galfriends surely comes close. Thanks for sharing.

Jane