Saturday, November 19, 2011

Bustin' with "Proud"

Rock Star Coaches (from Texas game) Below - Rhoads, above - the Burnhams
It's a never-ending roller-coaster ride. Being a fan of the ISU Cyclones, I mean. I know - I've chosen to get on that ride. I could be a casual fan - enjoying the victories and ignoring the other stuff - but oh, not me. I'm the type that invests heavily (emotionally, and..in recent years $) in the Alma Mater sports teams. Mostly football. I spent only four years at Iowa State University, but those years have shaped my life forever somehow. I'm in the cult.

As a Cyclone fan I've seen and felt my share of heartache from athletic losses - especially in football. I've written about it in past blogs. It's like the Cyclones are Charlie Brown - believing somehow, again and again that Lucy will really leave that football out there for us to kick this time. But each time, she whips it away at the last second - laughing cruelly. We fall on our asses, embarrassed, defeated yet again.

We've had some memorable wins through the years. A few. In college I was there when ISU defeated Nebraska at our stadium. It was the fall of 1976 - Dexter Green, baby! Back then I was really more in it for the fun. They didn't care when we took glass bottles of liquor into the stadium. Sometimes the game became a backdrop to mixology! I remember another exciting game vs. Kansas (OT?) in the 90s where ISU prevailed by kicking a field goal. It was very cold and a streaker blessed the event. There wasn't much to see...
Vicki, me, Sal, and Jane - in our ISU Cowboy hats - Iowa game 1979
The ISU vs. Iowa has become a great rivalry game. This year's Triple OT win was one of the most exciting games I've ever seen in person. Our victory over the Hawks during the brief Chizek tenure was memorable too - Shaggy field goal winning, thanks to Diana and I using our special lucky finger clutch. I gave up my ticket to Jud, when he was still in high school, the year the Clones beat the Hawks when they were ranked #10.

Paul and I have season tickets you know, and haven't missed a home game for quite a while! It took all week to decide whether or not we were going. Arguments for not going to the game. Someone Paul worked with was retiring, and Paul was in charge of collecting the guy's laptop and other equipment - so he had to work late yesterday. Plus Paul has not gotten to hunt much this fall, due to our busy social/football schedule. He was concerned a late night might cut into hunting time.

Our tailgating mates were not available for this game. Why going to a game without them would be like making a lemondrop without lemons. Diana had major surgery, taking the backbone McKim family out of the mix. Higgins chose to head to their Lake of the Ozarks home, and McFees couldn't make it. . I also admit I wasn't overly enthusiastic about watching the Cyclones get their asses kicked by #2 Oklahoma State. In the past few years, the Cowboys have had our number. I couldn't see how could we possibly compete with #2.

But...on the plus side of attending the game, my friend Christine was going to be running on the field with the team! Her buddy from Texas successfully bid on some auction package and that was the prize, along with sideline passes. And our pal Hauser from Minnesota was going to be "in the house" for the first time all year.

Ultimately we decided not to go to the game.

Damn, Damn, Damn! What a dumb decision - in hindsight. Bobbie and Jeff came over for wings and a chicken casserole Bobbie made. I enjoyed one nice lemondrop martini before I managed to spill the leftovers from the shaker on the floor. (can you say sticky?). The game looked marvy on the TV and I thought we were hanging in there pretty well, despite not taking advantage of some early miscues by OSU. But that ending was one for the ages.

The early missed field goal - memories of ISU's bowl game miss vs. Alabama. Our boy AJ Klein was a complete stud! Leonard Johnson finally backed up all his trash talking. Our frosh QB made some mistakes, but had nerves of steel. Tip by Iowa boy Knott in OT and interception by Benton (another trash talker). Jeff Woody ran like a man on a mission for the end zone to score a touch down - Clones know better than to rely on a field goal. ISU 37- OSU 31. I love our coaches! The defensive plan was stellar. Paul and I jumped up and hugged - hopping up and down in unison!
scene from last night - crazy!
I wanted so much to be there to drink it in - just like after the Iowa win. The crowd rushed the field and players raised red helmets skyward! That atmosphere is addictive. It was wonderful that ESPN continued to carry the feed long after the game ended. Sweet Caroline played, then Celebrate Good Times, as they interviewed Coach Rhoads and talked about the game.

This morning on ESPN Gameday, they showed a replay of Coach Rhoad's post game lockeroom speech. Some say he's overused the "so proud" phrase. Check out the video: https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10100342216168020
Not me. What else can you say? Others say OSU was flat. It may have been a perfect storm - but the Cyclones had the perfect boat to ride the storm out!
Far left - AJ Klein, our hero! (his parents tailgate near us) 

1 comment:

Alternate Leslie and Paul said...

So happy and excited for the Iowa State team and their fans!!