Monday, November 14, 2011

Diana (I call her Dee)


It was the size of a kiwi. According to Donnie, the tumor on Diana (I call her Dee) McKim's carotid artery in her neck was the size of the fuzzy fruit - and was likely pressing on her blood vessel.

It's called a carotid body tumor. They found it after Diana complained about having a dry mouth. Our local surgeon removed one of her salivary glands (you have several so that's no big deal), thinking that was the culprit - and that's when he saw the damn thing. But he didn't dare touch it, as it is so close to the carotid, the tongue and some other important stuff like the vocal chords. These tumors are usually hereditary and benign. But they gotta come out if they're pressing on significant stuff.

Diana has a wonderful voice - pure and true, alto. She and Gwen Buck often sing duets at weddings. And who could discount the duet she and I do (she carries me) on the Star Spangled Banner at each and every Cyclone game! Plus...she was one of my backup singers along with Joan (my roomie) and Bobbie for Monster Mash, during my 52nd birthday celebration in Earlham. We sang karaoke at a little bar on main street. I don't think they'll ever forget us. I drank all their red zinfandel, never to drink that wine again...

I'm glad Diana went to Mayo Clinic in Rochester for her surgery. It is where they needed to be. I'm praying my friend Dee Dee will recover quickly. She is supposed to be 2 days in Critical Care then a day or two on the regular floor was the information I last heard. I'm sure they'll take it a day at a time - making sure infection doesn't happen.  

I am just so glad and relieved that this tricky surgery went okay - I was really worried. Diana and Don are such good people and good friends. I want Dee to be home so I can make her a lemon drop martini (once the doc says it's okay - I wouldn't want to waste the precious nectar if it trickled out of her sutures...haha little joke Dee). Donnie can mix his own BV and Diet Squirt...
Cyclone fans  (Me, Marilyn Conover with Dee on right) adore linebacker JJ Klein
Oh yeah, and Go Cyclones - win one of your three remaining football games against a top-ranked football team so we can go to a bowl game with McKims! (one can dream!)

2 comments:

old bulldog said...

Diana said your blog made her feel good. So I checked. It did. Thanks from both of us.

McKims said...

Leslie - very nice article. Plus I am so glad the Clones beat OK ST so your dream of going to a bowl game is a reality! M McKim