Thursday, November 24, 2011

The gang's all here

Our gang arrived Wednesday - Thanksgiving Eve. Amy flew from Denver into Kansas City, and Kara, who works there, picked her up at the airport. They drove up to St. Joe, where Jud lives, and on up to Ioway they came, arriving about 6 PM. Paul and I were awaiting with open arms.

It had been a long short week for me. I was only in DSM from Monday morning until Wednesday. But I suffered from migraines all three days. Yuck! So I was pretty puny by the time I worked in my cubicle until 10 a.m. yesterday morning and stopped at the big HyVee grocery store to pick up a few things - a Mexican dip, salads, wine and crescent rolls. I finally felt good enough to eat something on my drive home.

I didn't need to feel crappy on the big day that my kids were coming home! A short nap was in order. By mid afternoon I started to perk up. Paul browned some burger and I put together some enchiladas for supper. I didn't want anyone to go hungry! They pulled up to the house right at 6 PM, and Odie wasn't the only one wagging her tail with delight!

We got the dip and chips out, and cocktails were in order. I decided I best not tempt the migraine gods with liquor - so I stuck with water! Supper was just was right as the five of us talked and laughed over enchildadas. Love having the fam together again.

Afterwards it was Wii time baby. That's right, we started playing Wii Fit. Kara kicked our butts in bowling. Then Rachelle drove in from Ankeny. Rachelle is Amy's college roomie, and she was looking forward to a night of partying in Crestonia - where the night before Thanksgiving is epic!

We broke out Just Dance 3, and Amy and Rachelle shook it up right on the living room floor. It was such fun. Chelle challenged Jud to a dance off and it was a close one. I loved all the laughter and just plain fun being together.

Just after 9:30, it was time for Amy, Rachelle, Jud and Kara to hit the town. Paul dropped them off downtown, and they spent the next 4 hours hanging out in three bars, catching up with old friends. Later, (or earlier Thursday) Paul's phone rang, and he got to go pick them up - they were a little rowdy. He had some funny stories to relate when he got back - stuff they had told him on the ride back. I was wide awake for quite a while after that, even though I didn't pick up duty.

Rachelle is a city gal. She had such fun partying in Creston - but she isn't used to partying in bars with people wearing steel toed boots. And people with camo hats and shirts on. She even saw a guy with a knife scabbard on his belt - and she was impressed (or concerned)! Not stuff you see clubbing in downtown DSM. Her powers of observation are impressive. I am in bars with those folks many weekends and don't even notice.

Paul and I attended mass this morning - it's a routine of mine on Thanksgiving. And it's not even a Holy Day (cuz I miss mass those days...). But I do miss attending on this day with my pal Deb who no longer attends our church. Even so, I have a lot to be thankful for. Family, friends health - the list goes on. Life is good and that higher power is the source.

When we got back, the little party animals - Amy at least, was up. The rest of them slowly trickled in. And we've had a great day watching football (don't expect Amy and Kara to say that part was great), playing Wii, and we worked in a little food too. First, I dragged them outside for a photo op in the afternoon. It was 60 degrees out! The Iowa Silk chocolate pie from Upper Crust Bakery - my pal Cynthia Wolf, was great. And the turkey, stuffing, creamy mashed potatoes and scalloped corn were excellent too!

Posing in the wind

Amy and Rochelle ham it up

 

1 comment:

Andra said...

Sounds like you had a nice Thanksgiving with the family at home-those are the best. And you had better weather in Iowa then we had in California, it was cold and rainy here. Happy Belated Thanksgiving!