Monday, December 6, 2010

True confessions

I'm a closet dance tune liker. I know - I'm the queen of classic rock! But now, I like the top 40 dance tunes. I don't know how it happened. First, I heard a few at weddings I was attending - the DJ slipped them in when I wasn't paying attention. They were fun to dance to. I "Put My Hands in The Air". The next thing I know, I'm listening to 107.5 jiving to Rihanna. How'd that happen? I do like to "Raise my Glass!"

Moose and Steve would not be happy. Those are my college buddies who were rabidly anti-disco! All we had to do to make them snarl was to mention the word disco. One year they went skiing with us, and one of them (I don't even remember which) was sleeping in the room next to us, and talked in his sleep about a disco song. "This song, it sucks!" he proclaimed. I'm sure the dance tunes of today compare to disco. Don't tell them my secret!

And another thing.

I'm not the only one who thinks about Patrick this time of year. Amy was five when Patrick was born. She was in kindergarten and she was very much affected by the turn of events - a little girl who had a great deal of empathy for others. This was the girl who, when visiting the nursing home at age 4 with the Sunday School Kids, thought the old folks would be able to walk again after hearing the children sing!

After Patrick died, nearly every week Amy made a drawing for us and about our family. She tried so hard to make me feel better through her pictures! And even years later, she wrote many stories and papers about this moving event in her life. Even today around Patrick's birthday she is saddened by his loss, and I feel bad that I've not recognized this more - only thinking about myself and Paul as the parents.

Jud was nearly three, but he was young and doesn't remember a thing about that time. He is oblivious except for what we've told him. I'm sure someday - when and if he's a parent he'll understand. Wednesday is the anniversary of Patrick's death - another tough date in our lives.

Note:
My roomie Joan hit a deer with her precious new Jeep that she mostly keeps locked away in her garage. Minor damage only - tiny little crack in a bumper that she won't even need to get fixed. Lucky her!

2 comments:

amy e. goldsmith said...

i'm pretty sure i cured several old people from blindness, vericose veins and incontinence because of my angel-like signing voice.

lgold said...

I don't know how that little girl turned into someone who would mock her mother by asking if the party she was at was an Ugly Sweater Party...haha