Friday, December 31, 2010

Post Christmas


Sure is nice to be home for a five-day stretch! It's a rare occurrence since I took the state job. Rare too was the 60 degree day yesterday - quickly replaced by the 20 with freezing rain this a.m. Oh well...it IS Iowa.

No big plans for News Year's Eve for us - I'm just happy to stay home. It's an overblown holiday if you ask me. Sure I've had some fun in years past on NYE. But more often than not, I've had high expectations that have been unfulfilled.

Isn't that the way it goes? I find I have the most fun when I don't set myself up with high expectations - unrealistic expectation in most cases. Do you do that? Picture how much fun you'll have - at Christmas with your perfect family with the perfect food - never a harsh word for each other. All the gifts are great - clothes fit, other stuff is just what the giftee wants/needs.

Reality? Bringing a bunch of adults together - out of their usual routines, cram them together for long time periods - crabbiness is bound to happen. At least on my part. Not all that much - for the most part the Goldsmiths got along pretty well at Christmas.

But we had our moments. That my friends is why adult children grow up and move into their own homes. Everyone needs their space. I need alone time. Hell I even get sick of me sometimes!

Regarding New Years or other big party times - I just don't like large gatherings with lots of people I have to make nice with. I do that all week long - when I need to - at my job. I don't want to dress up. I don't do that all week - jeans are my normal attire at the Wallace Building, though I do put on better clothes when I have a meeting, unlike some of my co-workers.

So I hope all those wild celebraters have a great time. I hope my children are safe. And I wish all of my fam and friends a fab 2011. 2010 was a good one. I'm excited to see what this next year brings!

No comments: