Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Rest 'o the trip






















Ah Christmas din din at the Pottorffs. Yum. That EPott (Eric) he knows how to cook a prime rib! He is the guy in charge of all the food places across Beaver Creek and Vail. He's got some "juice". His wife Bonnie is fun - got to know her pretty well the summer after Dad died. She came along with Cindy to Marco Island as we stayed at the Gulfview one last time. Bonnie is fun and funny - I like her a lot. Their son is Byron - a junior at Cal Long Beach.

The rest of the cast of eating characters:
The Sanders family comes every year too - Jim (vegetarian, so the lovely lump 'o meat is wasted on him), Shaloy, Kelsey (who just finished her senior year at NWMSU - a scant hour from Crestonia - with a full ride soccer scholly), and Reeve. Michelle - chatty but nice, works at the van place sending happy (and unhappy) touristas to and fro. And Frank wine guru, who brought his fun filled wine suitcase.

Plus Goldsmiths (who get to horn in thanks to Lefebvres) We had a tasty cranberry salad and a green salad, asparagus and really good vegetarian potatoes with rolls to go with the meat. For dessert, you ask? Bonnie had some ginger cookies that she layered on a beautiful cake dish with real whip cream and chocolate sauce. We served it with lemon sorbet and raspberries. I helped serve - so it was kinda crushed by the time I cut it - nevertheless it was tasty! I told anyone who complained - "hey, I attend agricultural college!"

The prior afternoon the fellas all went with Bolder to the Charlie's warehouse to prepare inventory for all the Charlie's T-Shirt stores for Sunday. Jud got a nice sweatshirt in payment and I even scored a Vail tee shirt. (I didn't do anything!) Cindy and I took Odie for a short walk (I even carried the little lazy girl part of the way). Then we drove to Cindy's office to get free ski tickets (yes FREE) for Jud and Paul.

On Sunday Jud, Amy and Paul got up early and went skiing. I was a little jealous. I could have gone. But I kept reminding myself that I'm the gal that falls down stairs and flips off short stools. I don't need to tempt fate! Cindy came to Riverwalk (where we stay) and we shopped a bit and had lunch at the French Press.

That night Colby and Cindy cooked for us. Colby made Beef Wellington - really good tender beef with puff pastry on the outside covering tender mushrooms. Cindy made some good creamy potatoes. I was stuffed.

Too soon it was time to go. All the sudden I was a blubbering idiot - crying when I had to say goodbye to Amy. I don't know when we'll see her again and I was so sad. I hate goodbyes anyway...
That night I hardly slept - finished my book and finally dozed off about 4 a.m. Paul woke me up to leave at 5:30 a.m. Was there caffeine in those potatoes? Long drive to Iowa. Laundry to do when we got home, but our great neighbors had shoveled our driveway! Another good trip - safe and sound. Love my fam.

No comments: