Sunday, December 5, 2010

The old telephone game


Remember that telephone game we used to play when when we were kids? The one where somebody started off by whispering a "secret" in someone's ear? And he/she whispered to the next person and so on. By the time it got to the end of the trail, the original message was usually warped!

I recall disliking the game because, as you know fair readers, I dislike having my personal space violated. And that game involved having dirty little kids spitting into my ear! Ick. And some people just can't whisper...they just can't talk that quietly.

That telephone game is like living in a small town. Somebody (usually an old retired guy at coffee) says something like "Leslie Goldsmith has Cadillac." and the next thing you know it's Leslie was doing somebody in the back of her Caddy.

So Diana McKim started her own rumor last week in Creston! She attended the new exercise craze - Zoomba. It's a dance/aerobic thing and classes are huge. It was Wednesday - Ladies Night at Crestmoor, the golf club, so her car veered there after class. She was still all sweaty and flushed from her workout.

Groups of ladies looked up like - "whatchoo been up to girl?" Diana, self-conscious said, "I've been doing Zoomba!" And one woman (didn't catch the name) said, puzzled, "Galen Zumbach?" Our just retired longtime Future Farmers of America instructor at the high school.

I nearly spewed when I heard that one. Well when I figured out what she was saying - cuz to be frank, I couldn't wrap my mind around that whole Diana "doing somebody" thing. I listened intently to the story, thinking it was real gossip about somebody in the neighborhood - a woman named Gaylin who for all I know (though I'm doubtful) could have been doing Zumbach. So all my homies were chuckling it up at Dee's story and I was puzzled. They had to 'splain it to me - like I'm Lucy Ball! Then I thought it was a hoot.

Of course Diana had to go home from Crestmoor and self report to Don her husband. My God it will be all over town! A roomful of ladies and that statement. Good stuff.

No comments: