Tuesday, December 31, 2013

There goes Johnny

Photo thanks to Beth Nielsen - Johnny's statue at Hilton

I'm not sure when Cyclone fever gripped me. But I'm sure Johnny Orr had something to do with this evolution. Sure, I was a Cyclone fan when I was an ISU student. I went to football games, I cheered - I got a cardinal and gold cowboy hat! But I wasn't passionate (bleed cardinal and gold) like I am now.

Johnny passed away today, December 31 at the age of 86. It's like losing a distant uncle that I didn't really know very well. When I heard the news I teared up a bit. It's the end of an era. Paul and I just saw him at the ISU vs. Michigan game in November. He was invited back because he coached both teams at one time - in fact he is the most winning coach at each school. Johnny looked a bit frail at the game, but he came through and was out on the basketball floor pumping his fist to "Here's Johnny" the Tonight Show Theme, just like during his coaching days before the game started.
JO Tribute at the 12/31 basketball game

ISU's present coach, Fred Hoiberg - one of Johnny's former star players - said he wasn't sure Johnny was going to leave the floor before the game. He said, "I asked him if he wanted me to sit in his seat and he could coach." Finally Johnny's daughter collected him, and Fred got to the business of coaching. Johnny got to meet with Dick Vitale at the game, someone he "had words" with years ago.

Johnny Orr, the "National Coach of the Year" Michigan basketball coach, was hired at Iowa State the spring of my senior year. I'd never heard of the guy, though Paul had. I was off to start my new life in Sioux Falls S.D. I didn't know then how important ISU sports would continue to be in my life.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, Johnny slowly brought life back to the basketball program. I believe I went to exactly one men's basketball game during my time at ISU. And that was because my friend Jane Flack's brother gave us tickets. I was only interested because I had danced with 6 foot 10 inch player Dean Uthoff (he was from Cedar Rapids and someone from my dorm floor told him to ask me to dance) at Granddaddy's disco. So I was interested to see his moves on the basketball floor. But our team was pretty lousy and didn't sure generate any excitement, much less magic while I was in school.

When Johnny took over the ISU program, skill-wise - there was a long way to go. Johnny told it best. He said he went home after the first day of practice and told his wife "we aren't very good." He was always very honest. And profane. Ah a man after my own heart. Did he work at a landfill too? He also said something like "This coaching gig would be great, if not for those damn games."

At tonight's ISU basketball game, there was a tribute to Johnny. Link

My memories of Johnny are mostly from the times he came to Creston. There used to be Cyclone Outings where the coaches would come to town and play golf and then arrive at the Elks Club to wine and dine, and then speak about their programs. The great man, Arnie Betts was involved. Johnny was the king of these events. Paul and I would be sure to arrange for a babysitter for the kids because we ate it up!  Rubbing shoulders with coaches and other Cyclones fans - priceless! Most of the media types in town were Hawkeye fans. It was enjoyable to see them squirm a bit when Johnny got in some Hawkeye jabs. But it was all in good fun.

Johnny also got in some jabs - he had some big wins against the Hawks and others, including his former team Michigan. CycloneTV has been showing old games and I've seen the Iowa OT game with Lafester Rhodes, Missouri, Oklahoma State. Some crazy good games. Great players on both sides. Johnny Orr brought magic to Iowa State University basketball. Hilton Coliseum began to fill up and the crowds were loud - helping to defeat teams coming to play there.

I have enjoyed reading the Johnny stories. There are a million of them. He was great for ISU and a great Iowan. I loved that he stayed here after he retired. He was a rock star. There will never be another Johnny Orr. Go with God Johnny!

No comments: