Saturday, December 14, 2013

Grinchlets heart is melting

Let me state that I detest being cold. When I was young, I didn't really think there was an alternative. Even in the winter I'd walk to school in a skirt (before we could even wear pants to school), arriving with chapped bright red legs. In college I'd bundle up and trudge to class - sometimes with long johns under my jeans.

Sometime in between then and now, my blood thinned or something. Cold makes me uncomfortable. So I'd prefer a warm December - you know the type. Golfers are still teeing it up and folks continue to play all sorts of outdoors activities. This year isn't like that. Unseasonably cold, they've called it. There is already snow on the ground. For some reason it's helping me get that Christmas spirit! It's hard to get the Christmas Spirit in Florida. I've tried.

Earlier this week Pablo and I attended a musical - "White Christmas". We got some culture! Last night was sports night - the big intrastate rivalry game Iowa State vs. Iowa. We have season tickets to ISU Men's basketball games. We ate at Ruby Tuesday on our way to Ames. It's a chain, but I like the sides they offer - green beans and mashed potatoes are good. We passed on drinks - we wanted to be stone sober for the game to come.

We arrived about an hour before game time and the students we in the building already - some having camped out the night before. Those were thawing from single digit temps. Some students had to be turned away! It was a full house with few Hawkeye fans to be seen - a few were seated in our section #217.  The game seemed to be all Hawkeye for the first 38 minutes or so - though the good guys hung in there. Then miraculously the men in cardinal and gold pulled the game out. Woohoo! Sweet Caroline played as we made our way out the door. Both teams should have good seasons ahead.

This morning as I read the paper online and later did up the breakfast dishes, I listened to a Christmas CD. The music sounded good! We had a mission - several shopping stops. A return (channeling my daughter who returns about half of what she purchases), a quick stop at Dillards found some great Columbia tops. Then off to Chocolate Storybook - a great local candy company. And miracle - the Grand Avenue bridge is finally open (only 3 months late). Then we were on to Gateway Market to pick up some special Christmas purchases.

We went to the real grocery store (HyVee) on our way home. (Gateway Market is just too pricey and gourmet for most purchases). Christmas music played on the store's sound system. We cruised through the produce aisle picking up the usual stuff. When we got to the cereal aisle I don't know what came over me. I picked out some oatmeal - Paul had cruised ahead with the cart. "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" played overhead as Paul looked back to see where I was. There was nobody in between us - we had beaten the crowd to the store. I couldn't help myself - I did a little jig to the tune, raising the oatmeal overhead. I heard giggles behind me. Paul said, "She isn't normally like this." I turned to see a mom with her son in the cart, smiling at me. I smiled back. I was feeling the Christmas Spirit. Eeegads! What's happening to me?

We plan to leave next Saturday for Denver. I'm looking so forward to seeing my family there. A dinner with Aunt Marty and Uncle Bill, Aunt Jean and Uncle Bruce, the Brownlee family and Richard. Monday we'll go to my sister Cindy's in Edwards. My niece Jordan will be there and Cindy's son Colby. And the pretend family - the Pottorffs. Of course Amy will be with us. We'll miss Jud and Kara, who will be with Kara's folks in Ohio.

I heard Mele Kalikimaka at the mall this week - reminding me of the famous Christmas Eve party we've been able to take part in the past four years. I look forward to being a "Kitchenette" again this year. No matter what your year has been like - I hope you are able to muster some Christmas spirit. I know it can be hard - amid stress, the losses one suffers, the commercialization of the holiday. There is still a lot of good you know. Try to find it.

No comments: