Friday, December 6, 2013

A Blog I wrote before I started blogging...when I was a child. Of 49.


I came across this document whilst looking for something else. Hmmm. It’s like finding a Benjamin Franklin letter inside a book at your house. Or not. Anyway – Back in 2007, right before I turned 50, I attended a Shingle Recycling Conference in downtown Chicago (I know…I bet everyone wishes they could attend such an event!) – and rode Amtrak there. While on Amtrak I had time to type. So here are my:


Thoughts before I turn 50…written while riding the rails – my first Amtrak adventure.
 

I took Amtrak for the first time this week. I had a conference in downtown Chicago, and priced airfare at  over $400 with long layovers on the return trip to Des Moines. Amtrak took me right downtown and was only $110.

So my excellent adventure began 3 hours late because Amtrak was running behind. The good news is that it left right from Creston, so I was able to keep track to departure time online and stay home until the last few minutes. I had no idea what to expect for seating, if I’d have to check my bag etc. It was all new! The Creston Depot is pretty crappy and features a handwritten sign explaining there’s no Amtrak office there – call the Toll Free number for help. I’d hate to be stranded there! (unless you knew the secrets of Creston – like Sidetracked is right near there…) Hard plastic chairs and chilly. There was one other passenger awaiting the train and she’d been there all morning and was getting pretty crabby.

The train pulled up to the station and we went out to the door and were met by a conductor dressed just the way I pictured in my mind – just like the movies. I’m glad some things don’t change. There were plenty of seats and I was able to sprawl with my roll on suitcase and laptop. Lots of leg room, and also lots of jiggling while you’re rolling along.

I took along a peanut butter sandwich as friends had said the food on board was expensive. I was by myself so I didn’t want to leave my stuff all alone – don’t want to lose Del, my Dell laptop. I know pretty original name. Lots of folks walked back and forth on their way to the food areas. They must be rich! I briefly thought there was a barking dog on board, until I figured out it was wheezing, barking coughing man instead.

I had a good book and entertained myself looking out the windows too. I’d never seen Iowa from there before. It’s kinda like seeing Disney Land’s back lot. There are some ugly things that people hide in their back 40 acres that one sees from the train. Appliances near Afton, tire piles, equipment and more! It’s also very beautiful at times – especially since it’s fall and the leaves have turned.

The train makes frequent stops. Osceola, Ottumwa, Mt. Pleasant and Burlington in Iowa and then several  more in Illinois. I was pretty weary by the time we rolled into Union Station in downtown Chicago. I didn’t know where I was going – had hoped to get here at 4 like the original plan was instead of after dark. The train station is large and I didn’t know what the hell I was doing – trying to find the right door to get a cab. I felt like an idiot – a feeling I had much of the time I was in the big city!

I finally found the way out that wasn’t on a river. I tried to make my way toward the taxis lined up the street. I was spotted as a rube, and friendly guy helped me get a taxi and gave me a map all for a $3 tip. I fooled him though – I only had 2 $1 bills so he got stiffed! The cab driver was nice and it was only $5 to go the short way to the Union League Club where I was staying. The place had a dress code (I had read ahead on their website) so I snuck in wearing jeans.

I was in room 1621. It was a pretty neat historical place – an athletic club as well as office, with restaurants that see a great deal of business group traffic during the day. I didn’t ever eat supper but didn’t feel like venturing out so I switched on the flatscreen and watched my new fave show Life at 9. I slept very well.

I didn’t sign up for the early forums held Thursday a.m. by the Shingle Recycling folks. So I slept in and made my way down to the WigWam Room on floor 3 for the breakfast, included in the room price (all a mere $145/night). The room featured original art works, and was very elegant. In fact it was so elegant I began to think I was in the wrong room. I hate to look/feel stupid, but am also very stubborn and didn’t want to ask the server. Besides, by the time I began to worry, I was already chewing.

I left the breakfast voucher on my table when I departed, and slinked back up to my room to await the opening of the shops. I had scoped out on Mapquest and my great map from the rube spotter (see above). It was chilly out and I wandered about but finally found Macy’s. That place is huge and way high priced! There were some sales, but it’s no Kohls – sweaters for $450! Still it was fun to look around and you just don’t see stores like that anymore – featuring fountains and lots of clerks who are very polite and look busy.

I spotted Old Navy across the street (ah my kind of prices) and ended up springing for a new jacket for Odie. It was getting towards late morning so I made my way back towards the ULC (Union League Club). Along the way I spied a Lands End store, and vowed to go back after the day’s meetings. I whipped into Subway for a sandwich to take back to my room for lunch. I got hit up for loose change several times but I ignored them. I do enjoy people watching though – such busy people and they all walk very quickly. One lady was yelling on her phone “fuck all those other women!”

After noon, I went next door (Mapquest had showed the Federal Building to be blocks away, but I noticed it on my shopping foray) and whipped thru the security scanner. There were no “welcome to the conference” signs. Again everyone else seemed to know what the hell they were doing and where they were going but ME! I finally swallowed my pride and asked a security guy who directed me to the Conference area, and I signed in with no problem.  

The conference was a lot bigger than I thought it would be – at least 250 people there. And I only knew 1 – Kevin Officer with Foth and VanDyke – consultants in Iowa and the Midwest. So I felt pretty alone during break and was not in a chatty get to meet people mood.  I learned a great deal about the topic though – and did some brainstorming about potential for shingle recycling in our area. One suggestion was for dust control, which sounds like it could work if we could get a milk run of a grinder and get that going. Or highway patching material.

The day ran long- it was after 5 when I got back to the room and I headed out right away to shop a bit more. I found a jacket at Nordstorms along with a clog shoe, but I didn’t understand the purchasing system – you had to pick up the second shoe somewhere, so I decided God didn’t want me to have that pair.

I went the reception at a bar near the ULC – it was from 6-8 PM. Kevin happened to be going in when I was so we picked up a drink together. I didn’t want to leech on him though, so I went for the appetizers, so I could skip buying supper. Yummy meatballs that kinda tasted like my hamloaf. There was another guy standing there not talking to anyone – turned out to be a nice young guy from Ohio EPA. We talked about recycling, foundry sand and even football. Of course he’s a Big 10 guy. On my way out I introduced myself to a gentleman from Maine. He had been a speaker that afternoon – from Maine DNR, originally from Iowa and a kayaker. He grew up with Marc Roberg, a Creston area guy. Small world, huh?

Back to the room just in time to see Grey’s Anatomy. Read until bedtime after that. Slept OK. Up early and down to the Wigwam room – this time I knew the score and didn’t feel stupid at all- until I tried to enter room 1321 instead of 1621. Gee hope I didn’t wake anyone up! Decided to leave my luggage in the room, and come back after the morning session. Hard to get thru airport-like security for some reason I was buzzing – had to show the guy my socks…makes me feel so safe. Not!

Morning sessions were on the industry and environmental stuff.  Interesting -  again and they ran over by like ½ hour. The snacks were sure good. I decided to sneak out and changed into jeans again for the trip. I checked out of the hotel and got to say good bye to my Ohio friend. I enjoyed the walk to the train station on a really a beautiful day. I even had time to sit outside a bit, I ended up talking to a guy from California – he and his wife were very interested in the conference I attended. Then I made my way inside.

Inside the station, I wheeled around with my bag and the laptop, which was very heavy on my shoulder. In one store I did find a good birthday card for Jeff McFee’s. Dr. says to old man “we’ll need urine and stool samples” and the old guy says “what?” and his wife says “he wants your underpants”. Gotta laugh at that! Got a sandwich and ate ½. I enjoyed listening to the weird conversations and food seller yelling “Yum Yum.”

Then it was time to head down to the terminal - just in time to line up for the train. The train lady was crabby cuz I didn’t sign my ticket. Everyone had to show IDs there. I got lucky – seat by a plug! Unlucky – shrieking baby in our car though. Thank God I can listen to my headphones!

So – I learned I don’t like traveling alone so much. I am still an introvert for the most part. I love the countryside and would definitely ride the train again. My honey picked me up in Creston - kinda old fashioned, nice. Smile.

No comments: