Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Christmas Traditions

I may be a current day Scrooge - but I have many fond memories of Christmases past! Thanks to my Mom, Pat Bullock, for making our Christmas special each year. One tradition was the Advent Calendar - like the one above. It was just a cheap paper one - but I loved taking turns with my sisters, opening up the little paper doors. It was the big countdown to...You Know What!

The most magical day of the year! Christmas! I spent many an hour pouring over possible selections in the Sears "Wish" Book. Of course Mom always knew just what to get us. We were spoiled rotten - in a good way...
My favorite Christmas gifts:
  • Betso and I loved our Mouse Treehouse
Thank goodness for Ebay - you can find all your old toys there!
  • Another fave of mine was a gift Dad must have gotten me - you see, I was the son he never had. A total Tom Boy. Dolls didn't interest me a bit - unless they were action figures. Dad's gift was a car chase game - I think this was it. Batteries didn't last long back then. Glad the Energizer Bunny is around now.

  • Johnny West Doll complete with horse and ranch house (made from cardboard) - Betso got Jane. Sally got a Johnny too - which made it convenient for play dates. I'm not sure why Mom got us a buffalo...
  • GI Joe and Buddy Charlie - back when those guys were big. I also got a Jeep with a trailer that had a Morse code light and rocket launcher.
I spent many fun hours playing with those toys. I let Betsy's Barbies be the nurse when Joe was injured.

saddle blankets - but mine had fringe!
    One year we were through opening gifts...hours went by when suddenly a light bulb went on over Mom's head. No, not a real one! She said - "The Blanket!" and proceeded to start opening every closet and cubbie hole in our house. She finally found what she was looking for - a new saddle pad she had purchased for me for Christmas. It was a show pad to use when I showed my horse Jack - light blue with fringe. She had hidden it away and forget about it - and where it was!
    Mom had 4 kids to buy for - and she did a fab job of fulfilling my "Wish" list. Fond Christmas memories - presents.
    What's your favorite childhood present? Chime in...



No comments: