Saturday, June 4, 2011

Turnin' it off

It just hit me - on the way out of the Wallace Building Thursday after work. I was trotting down the steps plotting how Jud could set up his apartment...and I realized...(Sound Trumpets). I need to turn off some of those parenting skills I've been utilizing so well for the past 25 years!

It was an "Aha Moment!" I know...you're thinking WTH...she's an intelligent, saavy, beautiful, cool (okay I'm getting carried away with the adjectives). How can she not have thought that some day she would need to ease off on the parenting gig?

I'm usually someone who can analyze situations well. So this hit me hard. I have not prepared for this! (Just ask Amy). I've laughed at helicopter parents - hey, I haven't gone that far...I never attended a job interview with my children.

But then I looked into the mirror. I am still treating my kids like they're in college. Especially with Jud. It's time to put on my big girl pants and...well. Let my kids be - grown ups!

It's going to be hard. But they're certainly up to it! Just look how great they're doing! Can I sit by and watch them suffer through tough times without jumping in and making things "all better"? Can I stop fretting up a storm over them - and let them slog through life on their own, taking their own lumps like I did? Can I wait for them to ask for help when they need it and refrain butting in when they don't?

Paul and I did a damn good job parenting from 1985 until now. We won't totally turn off the parenting buttons, but the things we've done for the past 25 years (and the fact that our offspring turned out to be damn fine peeps for whatever other reasons - genes, environment, friends) are paying off. I'm going to make a conscious effort not to be a bossy parent from now on! (Just remember one doesn't unlearn something instantly...).

Jud and Amy - all growed up!
Is there a 12-step program for this?

1 comment:

amy e. goldsmith said...

i don't think i'm ready for you to "an I sit by and watch them suffer through tough times without jumping in and making things all better."