Friday, June 10, 2011

My environmental (not hair) roots

Sometimes I wonder how I got to be who I am. Where did my environmental roots come from? My parents were not tree huggers. I didn't grow up enjoying nature due to my upbringing - except for my camp experiences which my parents did pay for. Girl Scouts, Bar-L Ranch, Camp Cheley - those were my nature experiences.

Dave and Pat Bullock believed in hotels with running water. My mother did try growing a few tomatoes I recall. Don't remember eating them though. But we did watch a whole lotta TV! Some of my earliest memories are of watching Captain Kangaroo on a black and white TV.

In the later years we had one large console TV in the family room. That was where I first saw this:
Iron Eyes Cody

What can I say? I'm a sucker for Indians? I loved the Lone Ranger - and his side kick Tonto when I was a tot. I had a red "rocking horse" - it was really more of a horse that had all 4 limbs attached to big springs. When western television shows were on, I'd watch them downstairs on our little red TV, and ride that red horse. I imagine I rode those springs hard! (I also developed a huge love for horses during this time).

And the first Earth Day was in 1970. The early 70's were very eye-opening when it came to pollution. People were discovering how much were doing that polluted our world! That got my attention without me really even knowing it.

When I see Iron Eyes Cody, I have to say  - he's part of the reason I do what I do. Thanks guy!

1 comment:

amy e. goldsmith said...

when i read the title of this blog, i thought it would be about getting your hair colored.