Thursday, June 16, 2011

Another sigh of relief

Vaginal ultrasound. It just sounds icky - doesn't it? Unless you're pregnant and then you're flopping your legs apart for any old reason - you get used to it. There's a swimmer in you (a baby) that you're pre-occupied with, so it's worth it.

In my case, not so much. My little swimmers are now big beautiful peeps (and one angel). So when Sheryl Young, ARNP's nurse called me last week after my physical to say Sheryl wanted me to schedule a vaginal ultrasound at Iowa Radiology, because she wasn't quite sure what was going on "down there", I tried not to panic. I mostly didn't panic.

One side of my abdomen still holds an ovary. Sheryl felt lumps on both sides. I tried to tell her one side was prolly poop (she called it stool). But she must have decided to be cautious, after getting information from Dr. Dornbier who performed my hysterectomy.

So even though I really didn't think anything was wrong with me, I couldn't help but think there was a chance something bad was afoot (or an ovary). Today as I lay on the table with the magic wand taking photos of my innards my mind raced. Man she was snapping a lot of them - there must be something bad in there! But she told me there were no masses. (even though a radiologist has to be the official $$ reader of the pics) So I felt better on the way home. Some expensive poop my guts were storing that day!

My little reminder. Life is fleeting. People get bad news every day. I'm lucky today it wasn't me. Party it up while you can! Enjoy life and live it to the fullest. And don't spend it worrying about a little poop!

1 comment:

amy e. goldsmith said...

Good last paragraph! But I was eating lunch during the rest of that post. Bad idea.