Monday, June 27, 2011

The countdown is on

Until I get together with my girls. No - not the girls from my mammogram. My girls from Atlantic! Preparing for my class reunion has made me think about my child hood - yep...I've been using the wayback machine again!

I've been thinking about those endless summers of my childhood! They were great. Mom would drive us to the Country Club. I got to hang out with my lil friends - those wicker  chairs around the pool made perfect forts when you tipped them over and draped your towel over them. In between swimming, and playing swimming games like nibbles and pretending to take photos of each other on the diving board, we'd go into the snack shop.

Then I'd get my putter out of our cart shed and mess around on the putting green. Sometimes kids would play cards in the snack shop - it was by the locker rooms back then. There was also a color TV just outside the snack shop and we'd watch Dark Shadows - a soap opera about vampires.

When I got older - after my frosh year of college, I just moved to a different pool, but my summer was very similar. I was a lifeguard at Sunnyside and taught swimming lessons. The fort was in the loft above the pool office - we'd drink beers up there (after the pool closed of course) and play the game Chug A Lug.

I worked with a great group - Marci and Cindy Merrick were managers, Sally, Kim Waters, Cindy, and Cathy Hjortshoj. Jules Hoilien worked in the snack shack. We worked 6 days a week, and each day was like the last. They were all fun. At night we went to the bars. I learned how to do a flip off the board after drinking a few cold ones.

We were the cool kids of town - we were young, hard bodies. I won't say I was tan. Damn it's prolly why I have skin damage today. But I was full of myself. On Sunday mornings, we'd go, hungover to clean the pool deck and bathhouse. Then we'd float in the pool on rafts until time to open. Then we'd do it all again.

Now here I am 53. Damn - how did that happen?

3 years ago - when the Atlantic gals were only 50!

No comments: