Monday, May 17, 2010

Grand old Oprey


Martha demonstrating her vision board
I loves me Oprah Magazine because it's one of those reads I always gets something out of. I read much of this month's edition while riding back up to DM to buy the new el carro on Saturday. The Martha Beck column was IT this month. Martha (good name - it's my middle name ya know...) is a life coach and Harvard PhD.

Anyway it was about envisioning one's future. When I first started reading the piece, I was thinking in terms of Amy - as we had been talking about her job and career Friday night. A year ago, she was just beginning her Denver job search - thinking of taking a job taking photos and she almost panicked and took a job at a salad place for like $20k per year. But I talked her out of it. Later, when she couldn't get a job, I was almost sorry! Then she landed a part time job, that she later parlayed into a fulltime gig, with benefits at a cool gourmet market. She's considering what her future is.

But as I continued reading the article, I began thinking about Jud - since he'll graduate from college in a year. What will he do? Will he have a job lined up by Christmas, as is his goal? Or will it be tougher than that? If he doesn't get a job before he graduates - then what? That time right after graduation - what a tough time in life. No wonder lots of people hurry up and get married, or at least take a significant with them where ever they go. It's scary!

The Martha Beck article described doing a vision board that maps out how at this point you envision your future. I could really see Amy doing that. She used to love doing things like that - so much so that in grade school I felt sorry for the other students and their poor little projects compared to hers. Amy's could be artfully displayed with dynamic letters, just the right size and colors that set off the presentation.

The vision board isn't just job related - it's all of life. Job, love, hobbies, home, family etc. After you do your vision board you should put it aside and forget it. Later, you might just be surprised how much has come true!

What are this old girl's visions? I still have a few! I picture my beloved and myself actually living together as man and wife 7 days a week. I think it's going to have to be somewhere up here - hopefully before 3 years are up. I will continue to work at IDNR for several years. I'd like to get this EMS program (see blog from like a month ago on this) up and running well. And I hope a promotion is already in the works for me, and I need to get my high five years in to improve my retirement income. Geez that sounds so weird to be coming from me. Aren't I still way too young to be thinking like this??

At that point, I'd like to see what the kids are up to. I wouldn't rule out living closer to one of them - especially if one of them lives someplace warmer than this hellhole (in winter - tonight was gorgeous reminding me why I live here). I wouldn't mind working part time then - either part of the year or of the week. And I want to get back into volunteering. I do really miss that part of my life - Paul and I have talked about doing habitat for humanity type stuff.

2 comments:

amy e. goldsmith said...

if you moved to denver, would you take me shopping all the time? and cook me vegan enchiladas?

lgold said...

Awww I hoped I'd motivate you to do an awesome vision board for your future, and this is what I get?? LOL