Monday, May 24, 2010

Denver trip

We're planning our trip to Denver. I have been going there since I was a tyke. The first time I remember going, I was with my grandparents - it must have been before interstates and we drove across a highway. I must have been around six years old.

When we stopped for the night, my grandpa bribed me to run around the motel as fast as I could a number of times - to wear myself out. It worked! I stayed with my Aunt Marty (just like I will this weekend), but at their very first home in Denver.

My cousin Richard was just a little guy - maybe 3. We took a bath together - my first experience seeing, welp a male appendage. Quite an eyeful for a lil gal with all sisters. My aunt taught me a prayer that scared the hell out of me "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep
if I should die before I wake
I pray the Lord my soul to take"

WTF? There could be dying and taking while I'm sleeping? Geez the Catholics don't have scary prayers like that! But even to this day that prayer runs through my head when I get in bed.

Marty and Bill's yard at that Denver bungalow had a fenced in yard, and somehow I got as a gift a bubble set with a giant wand - as bit as my head. Alas I broke it somehow - it was made of plastic, and it wouldn't make the giant bubbles anymore. I don't remember the trip back to Iowa - it likely was as long as the trip to Denver.

I'm looking forward to seeing my Denver relatives - though Marty and Bill will be in Estes Park, we'll stay in their lovely home. Famous Amos, Cindo, Boldie - perhaps even my cousin Amy. Hope it's not snowing in the mountains like it is today!

No comments: