Monday, May 10, 2010

Crestonian errands

I worked at home today - a nice one to stay home. The weather was rotten to the core! I did start the day out right, with a homie breakfast.

We were short a few - Dee is in Florida with Donnie and some friends (the infamous soupeaters from tailgating fame) at a golf tourney. Nan is on a trip of love - she and Jomes (as she calls him) rented a conversion van to go pick up her 84 year old father, who suffered a couple strokes in recent months. He is in a nursing home in southern Arizona - a looong trip! Their daughter Kendra is going along to help with the driving. Nancy is a nurse, so that will help, but it's still got to be nerve wracking to travel with your ill father.

Our friend Pat has not returned to breakfast since the death of her daughter in February. I'm sure she's not yet feeling like being jovial with friends on the town - even at S&K with her homies. It's hard to find your joy when something like that happens - I hope it's coming back to their family, if even in tiny little ways.

After breakfast I beat it home to begin working. I figured the Goal Progress calculation for LNI (landfill of North Iowa) including Cerro Gordo County where our firstborn made her appearance in life. It's actually kindo of relaxing work - looking up population numbers for - in this case 6 counties, labor information for 2008, 2009 and sales tax revenue for those years along with landfill tonnage from a spreadsheet.

In the meantime it began to rain - not pour, but rain steadily, and it was cold and windy! I decided to postpone my errands until afternoon when there was supposed to be a break in the rain. I had to take my prescription fax to the clinic and get my newly conquered dress altered at Quilts and other Notions.

Hey - it's a Creston thing. You go into a Quilt store with your alterations and change in the stinky downstairs restroom - the checkout lady pins it in between selling quilting stuff to seamstresses with their spouses looking on. You need to pin your name and number on your frock, and a lady from Orient picks it up and takes it back to her husband's welding shop where she sews. Bobbie said Krissy had to take her wedding dress there and the seamstress had her strip down right in the shop - on a blanket to keep clean. Only in Creston! Or Orient in this case...

It's pretty easy to run errands in Creston. I got all that done in less than 45 minutes. Now tomorrow I have to take my car to Ramsey Subaru for service - that will take over an hour - with 15 minutes drive time each way. Sometimes life in a small town is just simpler.

1 comment:

amy e. goldsmith said...

so true...a few weeks ago i parked downtown and got my haircut, went to the bank, met with financial guy, bought running shoes and ate lunch with daddy. didn't move my car once!