Sunday, March 2, 2014

The first characters in my life - cartoons

I love cartoons. Especially the old ones - they're classics. Some of them may not have been very politically correct - but hey, I was a kid. The country was immune from even thinking about such things.

I'm watching the Oscars as I write this - and they're awarding the little statue for Best Animated Short Film. Such talent. Frozen wins the full length animated film. It's times like this that I miss my Little Sis, Chiya who moved back to Boston to live with her mom. I lost my excuse to go to animated films...plus I miss the kid.

bugs does the Monster's hair

When I get the chance, I watch a few Looney Tunes on cable. It's a walk down memory lane. I find cartoons relaxing. Laughing seems to do that. Last week I saw one of my fave Bugs Bunny bits- Hairdresser.  It's about a minute long - so cute. I love Bug's hairdresser voice - I wonder why my stylist Sarah doesn't talk like that. Kinda like the old Palmolive commercials - Madge, "You're soaking in it." Can you imagine nail salons trying to get away with that?

Another cartoon buddy of mine was good 'ol Foghorn Leghorn. And his little buddy the chicken hawk. Another cute clip. Baseball. We all grew up with Foghorns in our lives, didn't we? That coach, teacher or family friend.

I got on board the original Sherman and Peabody train - during the Bullwinkle and Moose show. There is a Peabody movie coming out soon. Watch a clip of this if you're interested. Peabody.  I was always attracted to the dog cartoons - especially this one where the dog is the reversing places with the master.

Tell me this Tom and Jerry Ducky Cartoon isn't the cutest most adorable thing evah. The little quacky duck gets me every time.

To my heros, Popeye (a short clip of laughs only) and Speedy Gonzales - I wish I could have been more like you....(fast, strong and brave). I'd watch you, put on my new PF Flyer tennis shoes and run like the wind (in my mind). I begged my mom to buy spinach. I didn't try to squeeze it into my mouth right from the can though. I wasn't that dumb. I was dumb enough to think canned spinach would taste good and make my muscles bulge. Ha. Ick.
Tex Avery - credit Wikipedia

Frederick Bean "Tex" Avery was a cartoon genius - animator, director, voice actor - he did it all. Avery did my all time fave cartoon - Droopy. Here's a short clip. Don't worry - the bad guy isn't really dead. Creston's Dan Miller and I have had many a deep discussion about just which Droopy episode is truly the bestest. I think there might have been liquor involved.

Oh Wolfie - My college roomie Vicki and I used to get such a kick out of this all those years ago. Then when Amy was born - those early feedings again came during cartoon time. Do you think that might have something to do with how the kid has turned out? Plus now that Paul and I are ballroom dancing fools - I appreciate this clip even more.

Get in touch with your inner child. Find more reasons to laugh this week.

Ash Wednesday is coming right up. Even though winter doesn't want to let go. I laugh at you winter.

No comments: