Monday, March 10, 2014

Walt memories

Supercalafragalisticexpialadoshus. Walt Disney and I - we've got a thiiiing goin' on. Of course he's been dead for years...so it's a little creepy. But his film studio is alive - and so am I. I put some new music on my iPod last night - Disney tunes. They made my think about my history with Walt.
Walt Disney

I've loved Disney films and the Wonderful World of Disney show since I was little. Who can forget "Davey, Davey Crockett King of the Wild Frontier", the Ballad of Davey Crockett. I dreamed of going to Disney World in California someday.
Moochie
Sammy the Seal (I loved the animal shows of course)
The Castaways
How the West Was Won
Mickey (of course)
Babes In Toyland
Mary Poppins

As I grew up, I threw off my Walt ways and went on to "groovier" movies. Ones with titles like Carry On Camping and Pink Panther.


Amy and Mrs. Potts
Then I had children. My life came full circle. My first real conversation with Amy was about the movie Sleeping Beauty. She didn't understand why the girl touched the spindle - I remember laying on the bed with her and have a deep conversation about it. "Why did she touch it?" she kept asking. I was in awe - Amy was turning into a little person I could talk to!

 
Her first Disney movie was Bambi. Amy was pretty young for a movie - only two because I was pregnant with Jud. She really didn't understand it but was good. I was full of pregnancy emotions and got all blubbery over the loss of Bambi's mom. Oh wait...I still do that. Of course Paul was heartless - he wanted to know how many points Bambi's dad had...

We took Amy to see the Disney movie the Little Mermaid at the Creston theater when she was 3. I'm not sure what we did with Jud - must have gotten a sitter. She liked it - she sat on my lap part of the time. The music from that movie is really good. We were with the Ritzmans and sat with Mendy and Jeremy. The end of the movie is very dramatic and got to be a bit much for Amy so we had to escape from the theater a little early. #sobbingdramatically

VHS tapes were big during that time period. We purchased many of the Disney movies when they were on sale.  Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, Pocahontas - plus all the old ones they came out with Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Cinderella (no not you Katie McKim). There are too many to list.

I miss seeing Disney flicks - our VCR is downstairs and I don't even know if it works...just like watching Looney Tunes, watching Walt's movies is very relaxing. Good stuff.


No comments: