Friday, March 28, 2014

Book hoarders, college date..disaster


Paul first experienced the Planned Parenthood book sale Thursday and he saw them first hand. They're either book hoarders or people incredibly gifted at taking other people's stuff and parlaying it into millions by selling it on eBay. They cart it out by the grocery cart-load.

Here are some of the finds we didn't take with us. (Paul has a few hoarding tenancies but my inner Pat Bullock will not allow it to take over) We did find a few gems though - books for our Florida trip. I have an E-reader and like it, but there's nothing like real paper in my hands if you ask me. In fact I just received word from Barnes and Noble that my coupon from a settlement due to price-fixing by publishers is now in my account. I was excited to see it. It's a whopping $.73!
(I must admit I haven't spent a lot on E-Books but wow - that's almost 3/4 of a dollar special book.)
Ahoy matey! That's a real compass on the cover



This is why I have a rule that Paul cannot hunt animals that hunt him back...


A tempting find for a graduate or a worrier
 
What's trending on my iPod? Speaking of the library, I like to pick up tune-age there in the form of music CDs to listen to at work. It's been especially loud at work with utility guys moving my co-workers into new cubicles all week. Bang, crunch!

I picked up:

Robin Thicke - The Evolution of Robin Thicke
Bonnie Raitt - Slipstream
Dave Matthews - Away from the World
Ella Fitzgerald - Cole Porter Songbook

Wow - what a variety of music! I don't always listen to them in that order.

Why Cole Porter songs? Crank up the "Way Back" machine. When I was in college I once had a date with a guy named Jerry King. He had dated a gal that lived next to Vic and me and the dorm - 6th floor Maple. By now we were living at 230 Campus Avenue  -  It must have been our junior year. Julie had broken up with Jerry.

Jerry asked me on a date. That was rare for me - unlike our roomie Sal, I wasn't the type of girl guys randomly asked on dates. Sally, on the other hand, had them lined up. (and she routinely shot them down). We were going to a Cole Porter Review at the Maintenance Shop - the club located at the Memorial Union on campus.

There was a live band with horns etc. and singers. It was marvelous - and unlike most things I'd gone to during my years on campus. Jackson Browne, Billy Joel, and disco was hot then too. I must have been nervously handling the program as we sat and watched the show. At one point I went to the restroom and found that the ink from the thing was all over my face! Argh. Later, when he took me home, my roommates hovered in the kitchen like 3 mothers as we sat in the living room. Needless to say, we didn't really hit it off. But I always think of Jerry when I hear Cole Porter. Such clever lyrics. Check out De-lovely here.  

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments: