Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Rear Window memories

I did it again...dragged Pablo to another thing he never planned to do. I walked at Jordan Creek Mall tonight instead of the YMCA. The mall was a nice change from the tight circles and boring views at the "Y". I don't particularly enjoy watching people work out. They either try to act cool and aren't or just aren't. Like me.

As I walked past the movie theater area I notice the "retro" movie playing this week - tonight, was Rear Window - a Hitchcock film.

When I came home from the mall I announced that I'd like to attend the movie. Paul wasn't so sure, but warmed up to the idea when I explained more about the film. I was drawn to the movie for personal reasons - it's one of the first "big people" movies that I recall watching on television with my mom.

Mom liked it when one of us kids would sit on the long couch by her. They would be her (usually unwilling) leg masseuse and foot rubber. Mom had terrible varicose veins and circulation - so I'm sure those little hands did help. Too bad Atlantic didn't have a massage therapist back then. I wish now that I could go back in time and rub those legs just one more time.
At my Grandparent's home in Cedar Rapids

We watched Rear Window (I was rubbing her legs) and the things I remember about the movie were the scary man - played by Raymond Burr and that the poor little dog was killed. Dead animals always got my attention - and still do. Since watching Rear Window with Mom all those years ago I hadn't seen the movie again until tonight - at least the whole thing. So it was like seeing a new movie. Paul said he'd never seen it.

The premise of the movie is that Jimmy Stewart is a hotshot photographer with a badly broken leg. He's stuck in a cast from toes to hip - so he's wheelchair bound in his upper floor apartment that overlooks other "rear" apartments. Instead of watching TV, he watches the neighbors. One is sketchy.  
Grace Kelly was gorgeous and a spunky lass. Her clothes were classy.
The pace of the movie was slow - but not boring
The whole thing was shot on a sound stage, but it was huge
Sound was a big part of the movie - singing, whistling, kids playing - just like a real neighborhood
The gal that played the nurse, Thelma Ritter, was a hoot
Jimmy played a crusty guy who seemed immune to Grace's charms because she's too perfect (Paul tried to tell me that too...)

I enjoyed going to the movie tonight. It was entertaining and I enjoyed seeing life in the 60's that was actually filmed in the 60's. I've been dreaming about my parents lately. The movie made me remember my Mom fondly.

No comments: