Saturday, March 22, 2014

Sisters, Chiya, Big win, big break

We met Paul's sisters at the Cheesecake Factory for a drink and a bit of supper last night. Carol came down from her home in Northwood to check on the patient, Dave who continues to improve. Jean reported that one of the fellows who found him on the walking trail after his fall called them yesterday. She knew him - he's someone who had been one of Dave's clients at the barber shop.

I'm glad the guy called. There had been a lot of speculation about just what had transpired when Dave fell. Did he fall into the creek? It doesn't sound like it. Though it was fairly warm in Des Moines that day, in Webster City the trail was still a bit icy. It was nice of the guy to call - to help clear things up.

While we were having a nice drink at "the Factory" I received a text on my cell from someone I hadn't heard from for a long time - my former Little Sis - from the Big Sis Little Sis program, Chiya. It was exactly a year ago that we had our first get together - the day ISU lost to Ohio State. I picked her up that day about halftime and brought her back to our place to bake cookies - so I really didn't even pay attention to the game. I know - hard to believe for a die-hard fan like myself!

first date
You can't believe how tickled I was to hear from Chiya. She left last summer to be in her cousin's wedding in Mississippi and went right to Boston to live with her mom for the year - and I never had a chance to say goodbye. In Des Moines she lived with her Grandma. We texted a couple times, and I heard from the Big Bro Big Sis folks - but I didn't really get in closure. They asked if I wanted to be matched up with someone else.

Chiya had told me she alternates living with her Gran and her mom. And even though she's now "aged out" of the BB=BS program I want to stick with the kid. She asked me last night if we could get together this summer when she comes back - I told her "Yes, I kinda like you kid!" She didn't say if she'd stay for the school year. I don't care though - I'm just glad I get to see her again. I felt like I was just getting to know her when she left. Her texts last night made me smile. She told me to tell Paul "Hi". And now daughter Amy has signed up to be a Big Sis in Denver. In my experience it's a very rewarding thing to do.

This morning Jean went to the hospital early because Dave started therapy, but Carol agreed to meet us at the Waveland. So we posed for the usual photo...they recently updated the window for Easter/St. Patrick's Day. Another Newbie broken into "The Wave".
Carol, Paul and me - reflection
My nephew David and wife Ashley called yesterday to thank us for the step stool Paul built for their little guy Jonah. He's adorable - and loves to say "stool" when it's time to brush his teeth and climb into bed. Great Uncle Paul really came through and it was nice of them to call to tell us in person. They live in Manhattan and we don't get to see them much. :>(
Yes he could be a baby model...

No comments: