Sunday, March 10, 2013

Fish 'n Eastern Iowa Transplants (mostly)

Headed to Norwalk - St. John's Catholic Church for their weekly Friday fish fry last night with a couple groups. First, we were invited by my long-time (notice I didn't say OLD)pal, Jane Ertl. I met her in college. She was friends with people who posted a note in the 'vator looking for chicks to go skiing over spring break.

Yep, that's right. My roomie, Vicki and I saw one of those signs in the Maple residence hall elevator - a sign with the little pull off tabs - that said something like: "looking for girls to share expenses for spring break ski trip to Colorado".

Vic and had gone to Vail over spring break the year before. We stayed with my sis Cindo and her roomies in East Vail. Cindy moved to Colorado after graduating from Drake in Art Education. She realized she didn't wish to teach in Bum#$%*, Iowa and some of her friends had moved west - so she followed. I was in my "all about me" me stage at that time in my life (18, preparing to attend ISU) and really didn't pay much attention to what my parents were talking about. Thinking about it now...I'm sure there were many loud conversations between Cindy and them about this development. "What about teaching art?"

Cindy and I have talked about it since then, and she's told how determined she was not to have to admit defeat on "making it" in Colorado. She worked several jobs to make ends meet - determined not to have to move back or ask for help. Cindy lived with a couple gals in part of a roundish house in East Vail. Vic and I shared the fold out couch - um not comfy. At the same time another Atlantic friend visited - Scott Deter, who was in grad school at Michigan State. So it was a full house. I think one of her roomies, Debbie Rouser, stayed with a friend to make room for Scott.

It was fun - we skied a lot and were so exhausted we were really too tired to party. We must have had high hopes in that regard, as I remember dragging hanging clothes on the plane, the bus and shuttle bus to Bart and Yeti's in Lionshead - just one of the places Cindo worked. It's a pub/restaurant - named after the owner's dogs, who really did hang out there. We dragged a lot of fancy clothes we never ended up wearing.

Anyway, back to the 'Vator note. Sophomore year we decided a group trip would be fun, but none of our pals were up for it. Vic pulled the note tab and made the call. The rest is history. I've lost connections with most of the people we traveled with - mostly first floor Maple gals (except Jane) Jolene Magill (sp?), Cindy (CA) Nutt, Deb Enzler, Terry something, and Jane - who was a fam friend of Deb E. Later some of us ended up living at 230 Campus Avenue - where I met Paul G. Goldsmith...Jane grew up in and still lives in Dyersville. She went to high school with Paul at Beckman - the Catholic school there.

Last night Jane was heading to Norwalk to see her guy, Ken Root, who lived in Norwalk for several years and got involved with the Knights of Columbus there - they head up the fish fry. In the meantime, Paul had talked to his sis Carol, from Northwood (Northern Iowa) who was headed down to see daughter Barb and fam - husband Mike and their cutie 8th grade daughter Mandy. Last fall they moved to a lovely townhome on the north side of Norwalk. Paul made arrangements for all of us to go for fish!

Barb grew up in Farley - not far from Dubuque. That's where Carol and her first husband Irv had a farm, before Irv's early death from a form of Alzheimer's disease. Carol, Barb and Jane played the "do you know" game while we ate fish, and Mandy found a friend from school to talk to. Ken is a radio/TV guy - so he can talk about anything! It was a nice time. When it was time to go, Paul even started up a conversation with one of the guys working - he was wearing a uniform, DM Police Dept. It turns out he was the guy who shot the mountain lion last summer. Ken needed to set up for another event the next night so Jane, Paul and I decided to drive over to Cumming to check out the Tap there.
Love this pic of the schoolmates - and couldn't make myself cut out the guy in the bibs in the background...
We went into Norwalk to another local joint when Ken joined us. It is a big karaoke night in town...but we resisted taking the microphone. I didn't have my backup singers - Diana and Bobbie...
Fun night! Note - I was drinking H2O on that night. In preparation for Saturday?

No comments: