Sunday, March 3, 2013

He doesn't get to retire

Paul turned 55 Friday - technically eligible for federal retirement. But he signed that pesky agreement when we moved, that he'd work at least a year. So he's stuck for a while longer, I'm afraid. And he's got his wife and his financial consultant explaining this fact to him. He can't afford to retire!

So Happy Birthday Pablo!

Despite reality, I think he's doing okay. After all, he's still a fairly young guy! And we have each other. As time goes by, I realize how we can't afford to take that for granted. My sis lost her husband just last fall. I think of her every week - doing everything by herself. All the house stuff, financial duties, garbage and so on. And daily life. Bolder doesn't come home anymore and ask her how her day went, or regale her with tales of his day. I can't imagine it!

Paul and I compare work notes all the time - our jobs are somewhat similar. Who would I tell that stuff to if he weren't around? Would anyone else really care? For now - I've got his ear!

Friday night the birthday boy wanted to do our usual - mall and movie. He loves the Cheesecake Factory's Clam Chowder - even better than the Cannon Beach chowder says he. A good thing when your bday falls on a Lenten Friday! I had the sweet corn tamale appetizer. So pretty!
We went to the movie Safe Haven - a Nicholas Sparks. Chick Flick - a little draggy in places, but okay, not hard on the brain or tear ducts.

Saturday we shopped for new deck furniture. We want recycled plastic - low maintenance. Located the place to order it out on Douglas, Fireplace Superstore. The Amish make the furniture in Indiana - Berlin Gardens
You'd never know the price of #2 plastic has been down - because they get a lot of $ for this furniture. We didn't order any - but probably will.

Saturday night I made "mystery reservations" for Paul's birthday. He didn't know where I was taking him. Oh he was curious! It was someplace I'd been wanting to go, but needed an occasion like this to spur me into making a ressie. I called Thursday for 6 p.m., but they told me 6:30. It was a go!

It was Ohana Steakhouse
Part restaurant, part show! Paul loves watching sharp knives at work. And man their knives are the sharpest! We were the last people seated at our table of 10. The couple next to us was from Ankeny - and they were Ohana veterans. They gave us food advice. I got a nice lemondrop martini to go with my meal. Heineken for Paul.

Can you spy the 2 eggs perched one on the other? He also cooked shrimp prior to our main course - so good! I ordered scallops and Paul got NY Strip. There were several courses - too much for me to eat.
Pic doesn't do it justice...
 

The scallops came with lemon sauce that was so light and delish! Five Moki heads (top Goldsmith food rating) for this restaurant.

We saw Mr. Ohana from the commercials working the table next to us. Our chef, Cory was pretty talented with his knives and spatula. Paul could work there wearing his crazy Packer Zubas....

A satisfied couple.
Here's to many more birthdays together!

No comments: