Sunday, March 10, 2013

West End Blarney

Homegirl Bobbie Mac texted Friday night that she was heading to the big city from Crestonia on Saturday. Yay! It had been quite a while since I'd seen that girl. She arrived promptly at 10 a.m., just before her sis-in-law, my former roomie Joanie Mac B. Paul enjoyed chatting and catching up with the two. But then it was time to head downtown to check out West End Salvage - of HGTV fame.

The show premiered about a month ago on Thursday night. I actually visited the store 10 years ago - when it was a small corner store. Today it's 4 floors of junk, um stuff plus a coffee shop. And T-shirts (I liked the "cute shoes discount shirt). One could spend hours there. The place was packed on a cold rainy Saturday. Don and Hal - the shows "stars" were in the house.
Bobbie and Hal's back...
Don is on the phone

Joan secretly wants that rocking chair...no not really - she already has one!
Hal and Elk friend. I didn't get a price...I wonder if they'd like a couple deer heads?
 
Bobbie's daughter, Kimmy joined us after she got off her shift at Mercy Medical Center. Then we headed to Noodle Zoo for lunch as Zombie Burger looked too crowded. Love those noodles! A quick stop at Sticks to see all the art/furniture I can't afford.

Then we decided to head across the river to my fave bar The Standard to await Bobbie's daughter Kristina and her husband Caleb. They were doing a pub crawl/run benefiting the Amanda the Panda grief support center. The race had a St. Patrick's theme.

As we stepped in the door at the bar, the guy looked at us funny like we were out of place. Well...we WERE the only ones not in green running clothes/costumes. I tried to huff and puff to pretend I'd been running, but didn't pull it off. We rounded up the last table for 4 and ordered up beautiful dessert martinis (except Joan, our Designated Driver). Not being in costume, and the fact that 3/4 of us were 50+ made us approachable for some reason. Lots of people stopped to talk to us. They liked our martinis - conversation starters.

I had a blast! And probably 1 too many martinis, especially considering it was like 3 in the afternoon. Runners, mostly 20 somethings, were dressed in various costumes. But there were people our age-ish. I think I'd like to do this race next year. I hope the weather is better. The cause is something dear to my heart - as someone who has experienced loss of a loved one. And dealing with children who have lost a sibling. Plus it looked like lots of fun. Check it out.
How would you like to run in that hat?
Talked this poor chap into a photo, and then got photo bombed by the guy behind us, who we'd been talking to earlier
There was a girl in a slinky nightie (with running gear under it) that told me it came from the Ottumwa Wal-Mart. Another fella who talked to us had on Michelangelo's David boxers over his running tights. And they were complete with anatomically correct drawings. Very funny! I need to start looking now for next year's costume!

Needless to say I was quite worthless the rest of the evening, after Joan dropped me off. It was worth it!

No comments: