Sunday, March 31, 2013

Some girls get new Easter dresses

I get Easter shoes.
They were a bargain too. I love loafers! I was admiring these at a store at The Legends Outlet Mall in Kansas City a couple weekends ago when a couple women gazed upon them longingly, sealing the deal. I had to have them. On Sale $, yeah baby.

It's been a busy weekend. Chiya and I went to Oz and Great and Powerful yesterday. We hit Sub City first, where we each got a toasted sub. She likes meatball. I had purchased candy ahead of the movie - to be thrifty. The movie was good - not great. Chiya seemed to like it, and I liked being with her. Paul took the opportunity to head down to South Central Iowa to hunt for shed antlers.

I loved the noise the Little China Girl's feet made when she walked. The characters are the best part of all Oz books - people know the most famous characters: Tin Man, Cowardly Lion, Scarecrow and of course Dorothy. Most haven't heard of Tik Tok, the Woozy, Shaggy Man (and his brother) and Button Bright. L Frank Baum, the author of the books, did such a fantastic job of describing his characters - both reoccurring and one-time. He put the reader right in the story.

Speaking of characters. My lil sis Chiya is a great kid. She texted me yesterday a.m. to ask what time I'd pick her up? (I had talked to her grandmother the day before to make arrangements) Then right away she texted again and said sorry - I forgot to say good morning. How cute is that? I will be going on vaca next Saturday so I won't be able to hang out with her for a while. I told her I'd text her some pics. I'm glad she has a cell phone. I'm looking forward to nicer weather so we can do some outside stuff!

Paul and I went to sunrise Mass at 7 a.m. We were surprised that our former priest in Creston - Father Pins was the celebrant. Small world! He is now in charge of recruiting new priests and religious. His sermon was good and he was very gracious when we said hello after mass. A mob of people were already waiting for the 8:30 a.m. mass as we left - there are 9,000 people in our parish.
Mom would have been proud that I used my China and Crystal
Later, we entertained family (not county the kids and Kara) for the holiday - a first in our new home. Paul cooked his famous prime rib and I did party potatoes in the crock pot. I got a couple desserts at Whole Foods. Paul's sis Carol brought the makings of stuffed mushrooms - they were very rich and yummy. Jean and Dave brought 7 layer salad and Barb brought a delish spiral ham along with her husband Mike and daughter Mandy. There was wine. Everything was good.
Mike and Mandy

Mandy, Jean and Carol
Barb trims the ham. Mandy is a ham.
Card sharks showed up after the meal
It was nice to get together with the fam after a long winter. (Let's hope winter is over!) Jean and Dave just found out that their granddaughter Ellie broke her leg skateboarding - the same type of break her dad had in 1979 (Steve was 13 and a headstone fell on him) when Paul and I first started dating. That was when I met Jean and Dave for the first time. They were in Ames visiting Steve in the hospital. I met Carol the next year. Wow...I've known them 30+ years. Goldsmiths are good Peeps - and not the marshmallow kind. Heal quickly Ellie.

No comments: