Thursday, March 21, 2013

DSM Spine and Sport

I vowed to get in shape after the first of the year - and signed up to be on our department's Live Healthy Iowa team, and started working out. I considered joining a YMCA...I even had a card for a free trial week. But I just couldn't make myself do it! I'm just not a solo, at the gym workout kinda gal. It makes me feel lonely.

I started my "at home" workouts, mixing walks at the mall. And my darn shoulder began to hurt...just like last year about this time of year. You might recall the trauma I went through last year. Or maybe not - you have your own trials and tribulations going on. Believe me - frozen shoulder, beyond childbirth was the most painful thing I have ever experienced. And it lasted much longer. (of course I didn't have to raise it to adulthood...) Homie does not want to play that game again! Painkillers, sleep loss - and eventual manipulation surgery and physical therapy. It was not fun.

As soon as I began experiencing that same kind of pain, I made up my mind I would seek out help sooner rather than later this time. I made an appointment for a massage and asked Chris - she of magic hands - what she would suggest. I refuse to give up and be someone who sits passively instead of working out. I want to kayak again - I missed all of last year, dammit!

I met Chris when I resorted to going to a chiropractor for the first time in my life - some 4 years ago. I had suffered from shoulder/neck spasms due to stress when I first started working at DNR in cubicle-land. I picked a chiro off the Internet in Waukee, Dr. Wes at Waukee Wellness. I had lots of treatments, but I really didn't get better until I saw Chris - who used to do massages at Dr. Wes's office. She now works in her home.

Chris does lots of continuing education and she works with her clients to help them recover from injuries or illness. When I told her about my pain, she suggested I see I chiro - but I was hesitant. She had a suggestion for me. I should see the new kind of chiropractors that are into muscles at DSM Spine and Sport - Doctors Brooks and Jon.


I made an appointment and saw Dr. Brooks the first time, but he was leaving the next day for China - to work with Olympic athletes there. So I began seeing Dr. Jon. These guys aren't like what I have perceived chiropractors to be like. They don't just pop ya! (Plus they're really young - and cute) They are kinda shy about prying me around. I want to say - "I have babies your age - just get to it!"
Dr. Brooks
Dr. Jon
They wanted to know my goals - which are to be able to be active and do things like kayak. They were able to isolate the sore areas in my shoulder and back just by feeling the muscle groups. Jon said it felt "ropey" in the sore area. To help my shoulder I had to do a few things that hurt - like extend my shoulder while Jon poked his finger into the joint. But when I was done with several repetitions - it was looser. He did pop my back too. Yes! I've been there only 4 times in 6 weeks, so they don't just rack up a bunch of appointments to get your $. One bad thing is they aren't in my HMO network, but they are covered under Paul's insurance. Phew!  
 
I'd like to say my shoulder got instantly better - but it didn't. I have been okay at doing the exercises they prescribed - not great. But I've kept at it and I've kept working out. I just added a new Wii Zumba disc to my routine - I needed to add something at this point in the winter - since it's so freakin' cold out. Just this week the shoulder is feeling better. Something else...I have had very few migraines since I had my first appointment. Coincidence? I'm not sure - but I like it. I go back Monday to see Jon. These guys are making this chiro skeptic a believer! 
 
 
 
 

No comments: