Friday, March 29, 2013

The Happy Place Countdown is ON!

1 Week to my flight to happiness - Marco Island. Paul and I will meet Cindo and Colby there next Saturday. The way this winter has gone...for once it's not just about as warm here as it is there. I have been working at warp speed lately it seems. I love my job, but need a total break tree-hugging and from cubicle land.

I did enjoy a break from my cubicle yesterday as I worked with partner in crime Scott Flagg at a conference for landfill people and public works folks at the Sheraton in West Des Moines. Our bosses decided to invest some time and $ into a booth this year. Alex is a carpentry whiz. He whipped up an official Cornhole game. Yes folks that is what it's called - because Angie Googled it and found an actual association - Cornhole!
Scott Flagg with game - note skin with logo

Cornhole is a great tailgating activity! It was good for conferencing too. Alex built an "official" set and Jen had our communications department design a "skin" for it with our section's logo on it, made from sturdy Tyvec material. Angie ordered 4 bags - and yes, they're filled with - corn. It holds up better than beans.
LF Engineer Mike Smith blamed lack of beer for lack of prowess

We also decided to raffle a 4 seater park bench made from recycled milk jugs and plastic bags. This combination made our corner of the packed full exhibit room the "place to be" during session breaks! The sign up for the park bench was a good conversation starter. Those who chose to play the bag toss were eligible for several prizes - left over from last year's State Fair. People had fun with it. New employee Amy B. kept saying - "try the games - all the cool kids are playing!"
Landfill engineer Matt Phoenix, Scott and new girl, Amy Buckendahl(sp?)
Photo looking away from our booth - over 200 attended
Alex - at left is the supervisor of the Solid Waste Section.
I found out this afternoon that the landfill staff at the Iowa County Landfill won the bench and the director, Rick was thrilled! They have a beautiful facility, right by the Amana Colony and are certain to find a great spot to set the bench.

The other nice thing about this conference? Several people told me how they appreciate the attitude at DNR these days - how they feel staff is more committed to working with them. That comes from the top - Director Chuck Gipp was the keynote speaker yesterday and they liked what he had to say. I didn't get to hear it, but he talks at our periodic staff meetings. He gets it.

Enough about work.

We're entertaining for Easter! Paul's sis Carol, her daughter Barb with fam - husband Mike and daughter Mandy and Paul's sis Jean and husband Dave are coming. Paul will be making his standing rib. I'll whip up Mom's party potatoes in the crock pot. I stopped at Whole Foods today and got some yummy bread, and some desserts. Plus these beautiful flowers.
I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.

Tomorrow, Lil Sis Chiya and I are going to the new Oz movie. I'm nervous, because I grew up on Oz - as did my Mom before me. The books are displayed proudly in my room - much beloved. I'm skeptical - but my supe, Jen said she took her 10 year old daughter who loved it. So I'm willing to give it a shot, for Chiya's sake - no 3-D though...that would mess with my head. Even more than I'm messed up already!

No comments: