Sunday, March 24, 2013

Hangin' with my Sis

With Chiya 3/24/13
I picked up Chiya, my Little Sis, at 1 p.m. Sunday. Yep...right during the ISU/OSU basketball game. I had set the time up with her on Friday, before we knew the game time, and I didn't want to change it once I knew. So I listened to the radio on the way there - we were falling behind. 

In the car on the way to our place - we had plans to come here and meet Odie and Paul, bake cookies (the easy out of the package kind) and check out Jordan Creek Mall - we chatted. We got home in time to watch ISU lose a close one. Again - sigh. It's our lot in life. Not surprisingly, having Chiya here allowed me to be a much better sport about the whole thing. See - she's making me a better person already! I have a feeling that's the way it's going to be. It's typical of anytime I volunteer or donate my time - I garner much more than I give...

Father George talked about giving at Mass yesterday evening. We celebrated Palm Sunday, though it was Friday afternoon. In one of the readings, a man asks another for his unridden donkey (a real prize in those days) for Jesus to ride. That was something very big to give up said Father George - who knows of what he speaks. George is from Kenya, where they use donkeys for transportation, shopping and farming even today. He asked us each to think of what donkeys we could give in the coming days and months. But he didn't mention - giving away your donkey can get you better stuff in return.

When people aren't used to giving their time in volunteer activities, they don't have the experience to know volunteering can be enjoyable. That's why I like service learning programs in schools today. Creston's FFA program always did a fantastic job of providing volunteer opportunities for kids. Okay they were mandatory, but they had fun because they were with their pals. Our kids had to do so many volunteer hours for confirmation in 8th grade. I was kinda sad when it was over! I hope these types of programs teach young people that volunteering is good, not a burden. It should be something given from your heart though. I'm finally at a place in my life that I can volunteer like I want to.

Chiya is a quiet young person, a so grown up for a 12 year old. At that age I was a lot younger! When we walked in our door, she met Paul and shook his hand. I don't think she knew what to think of Ms. Odie - who wasn't sure what to think of her, until she decided she'd like to lick her. Chiya politely agreed to pose for the fireplace photo. We (mostly me) baked a batch of ready to bake cookies. Chiya helped me eat some of the ugly ones.

We headed to Jordan Creek to walk around a bit. Since they moved to town in the fall Chiya and her grandma have been to the other malls but hadn't checked out this one. We went into a couple stores I hadn't shopped before - young girl stuff. I even got her to pose for one more photo. She's a pretty girl - her grandma said her father's background is Trinidad. We laughed at the high heels in Dillards - 6 inchers. Then it was time to drop her off at home.

I have to hold myself back from trying to tell her too much all at one....you know - "and another thing Little Sis - you must go college." That kind of stuff. There's time to let the friendship come to us. I don't need to force it. It's hard though...I have so much wisdom and knowledge you know. haha

As I said - this is a great experience for me. It's been 15 years since I hung out with a 12 year old girl. Chiya is a cool kid - she's gonna teach me a lot! One get-together at a time.

1 comment:

amy e. goldsmith said...

I'm so jealous, sounds so fun to have a little sis! I hope I get to meet her in June or July.