Friday, March 22, 2013

I'm a Big Sis! (again)

My commuting lifestyle the past 4 years has not lent itself to volunteering. So, after our BM (no...not THAT - our big move) my Lenten goal this year was to volunteer. I have always wanted to be a mentor for girls. I believe I got lucky in that department - I was surrounded by strong and smart mentoring women as I was growing up. I can't pick out just one saw say "she was my mentor." There were many - but mostly there was one.

My mom, Patricia Morehead Bullock. Smart - (and she didn't mind telling you), she raised four strong smart daughters - for the most part on her own, since Dad traveled each week. Mom made sure we each knew we WERE going to college and even figured out what our strengths were and nudged us in that direction. Mentor-o-rama.

When I was in high school - there were a few teachers and coaches I looked up to, and even though I wouldn't admit it then, I also looked up to my big sisters. They were so beautiful and sophisticated and collegiate - I knew that is what I wanted to be like. I realize now how fortunate I was to have the support from my family that I did. I was set up for success - 3rd generation, maybe even 4th on Momo's (my grandma - Zora Stewart Bullock) side to attend college.
Mom and Dad's wedding with Momo and Bubba

For the past few years, I've had a desire to help inspire girls on to bigger and better things, but I couldn't come up with a way to do it. When Lent approached I started scouring the Internet for volunteer opportunities that involved mentoring. It was confusing! So imagine my delight when at an ISU/KSU Men's Basketball game they announced that I would receive a free t-shirt if I signed up to get information about a mentoring opportunity. They contacted me the next week - it was the "Big Brothers/Sisters" program.

I attended the program orientation in mid February. Me...and about 10 other "kids" all under age 28. It was then that I questioned the program people...would a girl want a "Big" of 55 years of age? Would they be unaware how old I am and freak out when they met me the first time. I was reassured that wasn't the case.

I was impressed with the whole Big/Little match process. I was asked to fill out paperwork for a background check at the orientation. I donated $15 towards the fee then too. A week later I met with a program rep who quizzed me about my background. When they found out we have guns in the house, they scheduled a the next meeting here a couple weeks ago, after Rose, the rep got back from a cruise.

She was satisfied that Paul's guns (no...not his biceps - real shotguns) were properly secured. We made sure they had locking trigger guards on them when the kids were young. Guns are nothing to mess around with. Rose was very impressed with Paul's deer heads, and could not have cared less that Paul had another lethal weapon - his bow - in plain sight. That same night we talked about what type of Little Sis I was interested in...age, interests, and tougher things like - what would I be comfortable talking to her about?

I was thrilled on Wednesday when Rose called me while I was eating lunch in my cubicle to say she thought she had a possible match for me. Her name is Chiya and she's 12. She lives with her Grandma in the Drake Area. They relocated here from Boston last fall. We set today at 2 p.m. as our meet date. I was excited like it was a blind date!

The meeting went very well. I met Rose at Chiya's grandma's house at the appointed time. The whole family was very polite - they all met us and shook our hands. My father would have been very impressed! We talked about some topics that Rose had to bring up - what are our expectations? What kinds of things would we like to do together? How would we arrange get-togethers? All good to talk about. Chiya was fairly quiet during most of the conversation. I tried to draw her out a bit - but it was probably a bit intimidating - being 12 talking to 3 adults. In the end we all decided we'd commit to this match for a year - that's what the organization requires. I'm thrilled.

Chiya and I are getting together this weekend. I am looking forward to hanging out with just her alone. She's kinda shy - maybe she'll open up a little one-on-one. Or maybe we'll just be quiet together. Me and my lil sis.

No comments: