Monday, May 7, 2012

The weekend

-Friday night - Surf and Turf and Crestmoor courtesy of McKims. Though I grew up a Country Club kid, our kids haven't. I suppose it's because there wasn't a private pool to go along with it as there is at the Atlantic Golf and Country Club.

When I was a little kid, Mom would take us out to the pool. Then as a "tweener" (12ish?). I'd swim, then put my clothes on in the lady's locker room and get my putter out of our cart shed and mess around on the putting green. Then I might get a burger and a coke to eat at a table by the pool. Dark Shadows - the corny soap opera was on in the lobby by the snack shop at 2:30 PM so kids would go in to watch it then. Sometimes there would be a card game - spoons. There were always other kids around to play with. There was a phone by the pool to call home when I was ready to be picked up. What a life! And I took it all for granted...later I even played a couple rounds of golf.

Buying a Crestmoor membership was a little pricey for us when the kids (and we) were young. I didn't work full time so we had to make some concessions ya know. But we were able to purchase kids memberships, so they could participate in the youth summer program. Jud especially took part in that. Both kids played some golf - I'm glad about that.

This week was Crestmoor's attempt to get new members - thus Surf N Turf night. We didn't get any big heavy push from anyone to fill out membership papers. I asked Donnie if Jeff and Paul could join as a couple!?! After all, Bobbie is working part time in Idaho, and I'm in DSM. Crestmoor does have a membership where one partner can golf and the other is a social member - and can play up to 6 times. I've encouraged Paul to consider it. While I don't like to think of him sitting in the clubhouse drinking, I do like to think of him golfing at night. He's good!

After a yummy supper that night of turf (a very good filet), we headed to McKims deck until after 11 p.m. to chat. Jeff was there too - Bobbie is in Boise.
Father and son - so alike, so different

-Saturday we headed to St. Joseph, Mo. to see our baby boy Judson. Jud just moved from his ultra cool loft apartment to a kinda dumpy duplex - at about half the price. We didn't even have to help! Paul put a couple pictures up on the wall in his bedroom, but that was it. Kara, his girlfriend left early that day to travel to Vegas (it's not Vegas baby when you're working). So we had him all to ourselves. He showed us around town a bit, and we stopped at Target.
See my cute boy...

Then we went to a great downtown restaurant Boudreaux - Cajun Cuisine.  We sat and talked after we ate - he's fun to talk to, knowledgeable about many topics. I like having a chance to talk to him in person about his job, friends, just how things are going in general. And on the drive home, Paul and I agreed. The kid is turning out swell - we're so very proud of him!
Near Jud's former loft - says "see the bullet hole"

-Saturday night we were still so full, we didn't even need to eat supper - even though it was Cinco de Mayo. I texted my buddy Deb and she and hubby Larry came over for a post Cinco dinner drink. They tried to go to Creston's Mexican restaurant, but ended up next door at the Windrow. We sipped Butterscotch Liquor and got caught up on each others' lives. I need my Debbie fix ya know!

-On Sunday I didn't even get in the car. Finally got some deck time with sun. Odie loved sniffing around. Then we went into cleaning mode again - this time Amy's room, and the closet downstairs. Ended up looking at old photos in Amo's albums. Walk down memory lane. I ended up scanning some of the pics of course. I couldn't part with the envelopes for the tooth fairy.


-Grilled burgers for supper. This was a good weekend.



No comments: