Thursday, May 10, 2012

Iowa City Site Visit

Bits and Pieces
At left is their stom water handling system - it has a green, growing roof.
I was in Iowa City yesterday for a site visit. They're participating in the Environmental Management System Program that I am lead on. The consultant we work with, Cory, flew in from Ohio to attend. We met at their brand new Education Center at their East Side recycling collection facility. Too cool!

They planted two biocells - and there are solar and wind elements!
They're going for LEED (top environmental stuff!) certification

Brooke and Cory chat about compost - scintillating!
I had a twelve hour day - had to get up at 4:30 a.m. to take off an hour later. We met at 8 a.m. at the Ed Center, and moved to the landfill at 9, working though lunch - slogging through identifying the environmental impacts stemming from the operations the Iowa City Landfill is in charge of. Because once they do that - they can work on controlling them.

It's exhausting work. The eight staffers who participated were really good sports though, so that helped. And Cory is like a coach - he draws people out. I am the scribe, typing stuff on my laptop. Plus I chime in when needed. We had a great meeting.

But I was tired last night, woohoo coach. And damn those migraines have been a bitch this week - the weather, hormones? Don't know. But I've been doomed to take Frova each day which also adds to my exhaustion. Today I was pretty worthless at work until about noon. My Supe Jen and I hiked down across the river for lunch at Big City Burger. My first time there. I had avocado on mine, and homemade chips. Good food!
We sat outside on a lovely day at Big City

Glad to be home in Creston today. 

No comments: