Sunday, May 20, 2012

DSM Farmer's Market

After a fun evening Friday night at the Lobby (the bar was celebrating the first anniversary of opening. They had a DJ and food, and cosmos), Pablo and I got up early and headed to the Farmer's Market in DSM. We were on a mission to find something for the Lefebvre's lawn. (We're heading to Denver and Vail Memorial Weekend - can't wait to see Amy and my sis and Bolder) And we needed a breakfast burrito fix.
I'd gotten a lawn poker (a welded design you can poke into your lawn) for Cindo last fall for Christmas...alas we forgot to pack it, and it sat in our garage all winter. And became rusty, I discovered when we cleaned the garage last weekend. So it became my lawn poker - a cute hummingbird!

Bomb Squad
Paul and I decided to park near the loft we recently spent 3 months in - for sentimental and clean getaway reasons. We discovered they'd closed the Court Avenue Bridge for a Public Services Fair - the City of DSM was showing off all their equipment, including the one near and dear to me, the garbage truck. Semi celeb Bill Stowe was there. Next police were out in full force with all their mobile units, helicopters, bomb squads. Pretty cool!
Baby Patrick rode in one similar to this

The crowd behind Paul is slowly growing - some people don't like the dogs, but I love seeing them
The rooster rocks in the wind - so ugly it's cute!
Right when we crossed the bridge we found the vendor we were looking for, and we bought a cool metal rooster for the Lefebvre yard. I won't let my sis forget she's an Iowa native! It was only 8:30 a.m. but the crowd was already large! We made a beeline for the burrito area.

Burrito Tent
The burritos are done by a family from Prescott, Iowa which is near Creston. I think they've put several people through college on money made from this endeavor. But it's got to be hard work setting up to sell burritos May through October every Saturday.

We stood in line behind Jeff Angelo, former State Senator and Crestonite and his wife Tara. Though the line was fairly long it moved right along, because those farmboys (and girls) have the set up down to an art. When we got to the cash register and the woman taking orders said, "Are you from Creston? Goldsmith, right? Leslie?" Wow - I didn't know her - but she's a Prescott person and her husband, Craig Mittag works at the New Advertiser. She must have recognized me from my newspaper column writing days - when my photo was in the paper. (In the small world department - we saw her again that night at a high school grad party in Creston...). The burrito was marvy!
Later we split a Dutch Letter...

The other things that caught my eye on this excursion...

Chocolate dipped bacon
$10 all you can drink?? game on...next time perhaps.

2 comments:

Jane Buck said...

You just keep on keepin' on Les. I enjoy your blogs so very much. Really down to earth, Iowan, and funny. You are a very talented writer. Glad you enjoyed the market - it's a great adventure each week. I want to truly commend you on how to "live life" and I do mean, LIVE!! Most people I know could take a lesson from you and enjoy every single moment they have. Safe travels to Vail, and please tell Cindy hi.

lgold said...

Thanks Jane - it's not all fun and games, but I feel so blessed. There are no guarantees in this world. You lost your honey early...so I want to make sure to take advantage of mine while I can.