Saturday, May 12, 2012

Rural power walk and loss

I spent a lot of time walking and taking pictures of the scenery when we had our DSM loft period. Friday I decided to take my phone along for my power walk here in Creston - after all the view here can be pretty cool too.

First though, Paul and I met Steve Crittenden for lunch at the Elms Club. We hadn't seen him in well...forever! His wife Barb is the Southwestern Community College President, and the school was preparing for the Second Lady, Jill Biden's visit that night for the college graduation ceremony. The Secret Service had been here all week, scoping things out. Such excitement in Crestonia.

It was nice to get caught up with Steve. I always end up feeling a bit sad though at how his life has changed. How people affected by suicide just have that touch of sadness in their eyes. Steve and Barb's son Eric took his own life at age 19. Eric would have turned 25 in April. I remember when he was born -I worked at First National Bank with Steve then. Steve was so darn proud!

It's been a long painful road since Eric's death. Steve says life has gotten better the past couple years, but he doubts he will never experience the joy he once did. I hope he's wrong - that it gets better and better for Steve and his family. After all he and Barb still have beautiful and smart daughter Kayli - and who knows, maybe grandkids someday.

After lunch I read my book on the deck. Lovely afternoon. Then I couldn't put it off any longer - I needed to walk off those giant cookies from my Iowa City trip, and that homemade cake from Joan's neighbor Paul (who is like 70, but I think he has a crush on Joan).

I did my usual route - up through Calvary - the Catholic cemetery. I like the quiet there. Then I head up the road next to Summit Lake, that isn't really a lake right now since the dam got iffy and they drained the lake to fix it. Looks like it's about done so Deb, Paul and I will be able to kayak there again.

These horses weren't quite sure they wanted me looking at them. I liked the looks of the gray. Then I headded to the street that goes by Todd and Lori Scott's house. It was one that took major damage from the tornado. Bobbie and Jeff were there tornado night when Paul called and got Bobbie on the phone, right after we heard about the storm. Scott's house was pretty devastated (just like they were). Bobbie said the fam was in shock really. Workers were there yesterday fixing the roof and walls.


This last photo is of a house we looked at twice and really thought about purchasing. It had an old not-working in ground pool - they must have jackhammered that out. The lot to the east was also a part of the property then. The house and barn needed a lot of work and was out of our price range. Plus it had lots of steps. I'm glad we waited and got the house we live in now.


No comments: