Saturday, February 4, 2012

Winter finally

It's February 4, and we're finally getting a bit of winter weather here in SW Ioway. Really it's about time. It wouldn't be right if we got out of this winter without some hint of the white stuff. Oh we've had scattered 1 and 2 inch storms. But not real winter.

It's somewhat similar to the year my lil buddy Judson David was born - and his birthday was just Monday when the lad turned 23. Can you believe it? Nor I! As I recall, it was something like 60 degrees out when we walked into the hospital to have him. That morning - it was a Monday, just like every birthday for each of my kids - "full of face" (whatever that means).

I was just a couple days past my January 27 due date, and had rolled over in bed - planning to get up shortly to get ready for work, when I felt something pop. My water broke. It wasn't a "drop the pickles in the grocery aisle gusher". Just a trickle. After dropping Amy off at our sitter, Carol Frank's house, we headed to the hospital on a balmy 60 degree day. Typical Jud, just like his sis, he required drugs and time to decide to make an entrance - just past 11:30 PM.

I was shocked to discover I'd given birth to a male child! After 70 years (since my dad was born) there was finally another Bullock male. I have no maternal instinct when it comes to baby sex. When Amy was born, I'd had a feeling she was a boy - Andrew Judson. After Amy was born, we went whole hog on the naming the kid after dad thingy. I've never regretted it - though he has been called Jed, Jude, Jetson and more. It's an unusual name - but it has history and style. You can't find it on a kiddie license plate or pen in a gift store!

Anyway, back in 1989, new moms stayed in the hospital a few days post birth. Thank goodness! Amy had stayed overnight with our friends the McFees the night Jud was born. Then Paul and she muddled through without me for a couple days - until Thursday. The day mom and tot came home. On that day, a big snowstorm hit, and the temperature dropped - similar to today. Welcome to Iowa Judson David! Thus began our lives together - a new family of four.

1 comment:

amy e. goldsmith said...

That's crazy that we were all born on Monday! You must have planned that somehow.