Saturday, February 25, 2012

Mixed feelings

View of the Capitol from our building

I've got mixed feelings about our living situation. I work in DSM. Paul has a temp position in town, so we've taken a "place" - a loft in the East Village near both of our jobs. We'll be there through mid April. Living together full time for the first time in three years.

Though I admit it's been a bit of an adjustment. I'm finding I love it too much. I'm being spoiled. Last week on our way back to DSM, I spoke of the "South Place" and the loft. Like Creston was the south of France or something. Paul said - it IS on a lake - Lake McKinley, the pond-sized lake you can see from our house.

We love our neighborhood in Creston, and the people who live in it. As I write this, Paul is driving off in our neighbor, Bill Taylor's Chevy truck with brush from our yard. Taylors aren't home but they left their keys so Paul could run brush to the city yard waste site. Taylors also watch our house and cat when we're on vacation. Joni (Bill's wife) refuses to allow us to pay their daughter Jenna for this service. (I'm sure it's really Joni who is the one doing the job most of the time). We try to provide local gift certificates to show our gratitude.

Jim Anthony scoops our driveway with his blade after snowstorms - all for Hooters gift cards (he says he loves the wings..., right Jim). All the other neighbors are good peeps too. No troublemakers with Harleys or barking dogs.
Our house last fall...
Plus we love our Creston friends like family - without much of the drama. They've been through it all with us. The good, the bad, the crazy knuckleheaded stuff. Fun. Oh the times we've had!

But I'd love having my honey with me full time. It's not an option at this point...the position he's staffing is a temp one. The guy he is replacing is itching to get back to his real job! Alas...the feds aren't going to keep paying for us to have a 2nd home in the big city.

When we got back to the loft last Monday, both of us (and even Odie) felt like we were kinda "home" there too. Sure - my fave chair isn't there. And Odie can't run out the front door to potty. There's no place for Paul to putz around. And the light in the bathroom sucks - for all of my personal makeup routine (all 5 minutes). And the bird next door continues to gargle, coo, roar - whatever that noise is...

But it's so nice being together. For the little stuff. Groceries, library visits and surgery. Yeah - I have that elbow surgery next week and it will be really convenient living in town for medical stuff. Our search of the perfect wings/neighborhood food/bar has been fun too. It was quite distracting one day at work last week - trying to decide just which establishment we should try out that evening.

It's like riding the roller coaster. I'm trying to enjoy the ride and not think about the end. Because when this ride is over, Paul and I are lining up for another ride! We're not sure what it will be - or how fun, but we'll be on it together.
On a ferry ride - NYC. We look a little like we're in pain

2 comments:

Mary MG said...

Leslie,
I'd love to have you over some time this spring. We could sit in my garden and share some tea, wine, or cocktails. Maybe have Jane join us? I live in the Drake neighborhood, so about halfway between your work and your temp home in WDM.
Mary

lgold said...

That sounds swell Mary! Haven't seen Jane in forever. I'd love to sit in a garden and drink tea.