Saturday, February 18, 2012

Local gems

We didn't make it out to the Williamson fundraiser for the women's shelter last night. We started the night at the Lobby with McFees, McKims and my roomie Joan and her husband Billy Bentley, and never ended up leaving. I had suffering an excruciating migraine earlier in the day, hadn't eaten much and really wasn't up to much partying. So hanging local was fine with me.

I thought about the auction they were having at the fundraiser. I was sorry to miss it as it was highly likely Darwin West led the charge there. He's a local gem - an area do-gooder, and all-around wonderful guy. Darwin is an Auctioneer and bus driver by profession. He squeezes money out of people at charity auctions quite easily, by embarrassing them. At Creston High Schools annual Prom, he dresses in a tuxedo and announces each couple like they were stars on the red carpet at the Oscars. The kids love him too!

It all starts when Darwin drives the bus. He drives a rural route during the day, making friends with each of the kids - teasing them in a nice way. But he does it in a way that shows he cares about them - important in this day and age. Your parent are supposed to like you - but how good a feeling is it when this old guy accepts you for who you are?

Did I mention Darwin is around 70ish and is a bit round? At least he has the belly of Santa, and he usually wearing some type of hat. He never fails to speak to us when we see him, asking about the kids or work - whatever. When I was in charge of the St. Malachy Catholic School Foundation for several years, he and his Auction Crew graciously donated their time to this event, helping us raise tens of thousands of $! He's got some great lines to get people to up their bids. I'm sure Mr. West raised a bunch for the Women's Shelter last night!

Sorry I didn't make it.

I did enjoy a night out with our buddies - even if I kept it toned down. We ordered pizza from A&G and Paul and Jeff walked down to get it. Lobby staff whipped out plates and napkins - nice! They've recently opened up the larger room east of the bar area and a band was playing in there. Perfect - we could talk at the table we were at, yet still hear the band. We packed it in fairly early - around 10:30 PM, and it was nice to come home to my own bed (King size). Good night!

No comments: