Sunday, February 12, 2012

Warbler

Late afternoon sun - cool loft shadows

It's very strange sharing walls with strangers once again. After all it's been 26+ years since we last lived in a place that housed more than one family.

Our last apartment was in Osage, Iowa - in a house we shared with an elderly woman. Not elderly like me. More like 80+. She listened to the television really loud. One night, I was afraid she'd "gone to the big house in the sky" because I woke up in the middle of the night and the TV was still going. The old gal usually turned in early. But she must have just fallen asleep with the thing on, cuz I heard her the next day up and about.
Odie with new dolly


When we moved to Creston, we bought our first house - and had to worry about neighbor's yards instead of shared walls. So living in a loft in the East Village of DSM has brought back memories of apartments past! I won't even get into some of the things I heard through college apartment bedroom walls...

The bird?? is on the other side of that wall...
In this building, we can hear the neighbors - despite the pretty good insulation. Like the "thing" next door. We first heard it during last week's Super Bowl - when I asked Paul to turn down the sound on the TV so I could listen to the strange noise. A lion? Of course not. Paul says it's a bird that those are pigeon-like warbles or cooing. It's very sporadic - only going on for an hour or so in the evening. Thank goodness!

There is a standard poodle across the hall that barks periodically - especially when Odie runs by. Neighbors nearby play music loudly on weekends at night. I guess they're not lame early to-bed weekend peeps like we are.

We're settling into the sounds of our new temporary digs. Not sure I'll get used to the damn bird though.

Jud and Kara stopped by today on their way back to Missouri from a visit to Ames. So we showed off the new joint and went back Baby Boomers for a late breakfast. Then we took a quick walk down Locust Street to see the neighborhood before they hit the road. It's fun to introduce people to our temp neighborhood!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like swanky, arty, hip digs -- just what I was expecting. I hope we don't lose you down on the farm, once you've seen "Paree." :) Speaking of the farm, I heard the train every night for the first week I lived in Creston and rarely since.